transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (suggest) proponer* to propose a toast proponer* un brindis do you know what he proposed to me? ¿sabes qué me propuso? to propose
-ing/( that) proponer* que+ subjunctive/subjuntivoI proposed giving them more incentives propuse darles or que se les dieran más incentivos she proposed that we employ them both propuso que las contratáramos a las dos what do you propose we do? ¿qué propones que hagamos?More example sentences1.2
(proposed past participle of/participio pasado de)the proposed cuts los recortes que se proponen implementar, los recortes que se planean 1.3 (in meeting) [amendment] proponer*; [motion] presentar, proponer* I propose that the meeting be adjourned propongo que se levante la sesión she proposed Charles as chairman propuso or (in Latin America also/en América Latina también) postuló a Charles como presidente you'll be proposed for membership at the next meeting se te propondrá como candidato a socio en la próxima reuniónMore example sentences
- The conference voted for complete opposition to the Lyons report, which first proposed these plans.
- Public sector workers also need to actively recruit to their unions by explaining what the plans mean and by proposing a strategy for fighting them.
- In what follows I try to analyze what gave rise to this choice for the public, and propose a plan for moving on.
- He would not be able to live down the embarrassment in the event of someone telephoning him, as it was he who proposed the motion at committee to ban mobiles.
- She will propose a motion requesting the council adjourn it until May 21.
- At last week's Carlow town council meeting a resident of Grave Lane requested that the council propose a motion to change the name to Park Lane.
- 2 (intend) to propose to +
infinitive/infinitivo, to propose -ingpensar* + infinitive/infinitivowhat do you propose to do about it? ¿qué piensas hacer al respecto? I propose to go back home and wait pienso volver a casa y esperar what do you propose doing with that old trunk? ¿qué piensas hacer con ese baúl viejo?More example sentences
- As we have previously pointed out, we are not proposing to attend the hearing of your Application.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.