Translation of Puritan in Spanish:
- 1puritano, (-na) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- From its inception there had been a committed Protestant minority who aspired to complete a full Protestant reformation - the Puritans.
- Excessive frivolity has always been frowned upon by some, and Christmas was not celebrated by the Puritans or Calvinists.
- Unlike the English Puritans, the Dutch Reformed ministers made no efforts to evangelise the native peoples of the area.
- 2also: puritan(morally)puritano, (-na) (masculine, feminine)Example sentences
- These are precisely the values the puritans and zealots of many faiths and ideologies would destroy.
- A few centuries ago it may not have seemed out of place, but even modern-day American puritans have been shocked by Florida's so-called ‘Scarlet Letter’ law.
- Teetotalers, or people who drink in moderation, on the other hand are boring, no fun, puritans, kill-joys etc.
- 1Example sentences
- The religious experiments of Archbishop Laud reactivated Puritan militancy.
- She sets this change within the context of a wider intellectual shift from Puritan piety to the Enlightenment's faith in progress and the inherent goodness of man.
- The religious intensity of Puritan settlers infused every facet of life in seventeenth-century New England, including criminality.
- 2also: puritan(morally strict)Example sentences
- Bangalore seemed to suit him better, with its catholicity of social life and its absence of puritan guardians of moral behaviour.
- Feng Yuxiang's forces were subjected with severity to their commander's puritan morals: no drinking, gambling, swearing, or resort to prostitutes was permitted.
- Suffused with puritan guilt, his self interest had its limits.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.