adj (rarer /ˈrerər; ˈreərə(r)/, rarest /ˈrerəst; ˈreərɪst/)
- 1 1.1 (uncommon) raro, poco común the bird is a rare sight in this country el ave rara vez se ve en este país with a few rare exceptions salvo raras excepciones it is rare for this to happen during the summer es raro que esto suceda durante el verano one of her rare television appearances una de sus poco frecuentes actuaciones en televisiónMore example sentences1.2 (unusually good) [literary/literario] [talent/beauty] excepcional, singular
More example sentences1.3 (fine, uncommon) (especially British English/especialmente inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar] we had a rare (old) time at the party lo pasamos bomba en la fiesta [colloquial/familiar]
- The best that most of us can do is to live with it, enjoy it and be thankful it is such a rare event.
- She was diagnosed with a rare condition that inflamed her liver at just six weeks old.
- The condition is so rare it only affects a handful of women in the world each year.
- For the rare or unusual gift, a trip round the antique or second-hand shops and a little imagination is all you need.
- Artistically, it is a rare and precious gem that demands careful examination.
- To be able to take a stand like he did is rare and precious thing in politics.
- 2 2.1 (rarefied) [atmosphere] enrarecido 2.2 [Cookery/Cocina] [steak] vuelta y vuelta, poco hecho (Spain/España) , a la inglesa (Mexico/México)More example sentences
- To them, it tastes as good as medium rare steak.
- This was sent back to the kitchen as the rare steak was overcooked and the sauce was burnt.
- The spicy beef was rare and served with green mango and coriander, but lacked any real zing.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Bullfighting is popular in Spain and in Mexico, Colombia, Peru, and Venezuela. For some Spaniards it is crucial to Spanish identity. The season runs from March to October in Spain, from November to March in Latin America.