Translation of reference in Spanish:
- 1 countable or uncountable (allusion) See examples:reference (
tosomething/somebody)to make reference to something/somebodyalusión (feminine) or referencia (feminine) ( aalgo/alguien)with reference to somethinghacer alusión or referencia a algo/alguienmencionar algo/a alguiencon referencia or relación a algoen relación con algo
- 2 2.1 uncountable (consultation) for future referencefor future reference, you ought to get authorization firstpara futura(s) consulta(s)for ease of referencede aquí en adelante tenga en cuenta que primero hay que pedir autorizaciónshe did it without reference to mepara facilitar la consulta(before noun) reference book/librarylo hizo sin consultarmefor reference use onlyobra (feminine) /biblioteca (feminine) de consulta or de referencia2.2 countable (indicator) our reference: FMH/cspara consultar en sala(before noun) reference mark reference numbernuestra referencia: FMH/csExample sentences
- They walked in the direction of the barn as he made reference to meeting her models for the project.
- The extent to which folk medicine, which I've made reference to, is practiced is a measure of the quality of the medical service available in that community.
- It is clear that both Messier and Bronfman had the TimeWarner / AOL model in mind when they made reference to music unfolding on the Internet.
- 3 uncountable 3.1 (scope, remit) See examples: this matter lies outside the reference of the committeethat's outside the terms of reference of the investigationeste asunto está fuera de las atribuciones or la competencia del comitépoint of reference 3.2 (relation) See examples:referenceeso está fuera del ámbito de la investigación
tosomethingto bear/have reference to somethingrelación (feminine) conalgotener relación con algoExample sentences
- The decision was taken without reference to the members who should have been made aware that a funding difficulty existed.
- It is clear the applicant made a deliberate decision, without reference to planning officers, to implement changes.
- We were left to make many decisions without reference to the office back in the city.
- 4 countable 4.1 (testimonial) can you provide references?they didn't even take up references¿puede facilitarnos referencias?4.2 (person giving testimonial) (American English) you need two referencesni siquiera pidieron referencias or informesnecesitas el aval de dos personasExample sentences
- Mr Bradshaw handed in references from a previous employer which spoke of her reliability and honesty.
- She's really down to earth and has fantastic references from her previous employers.
- ‘I think any employer would want to do a fairly thorough check of references of previous employers of an individual,’ said Mitchell.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.