Translation of reference in Spanish:
- 1 c and u (allusion) reference (
tosth/sb) alusión (feminine) or referencia (feminine)( aalgo/algn) to make reference to sth/sb hacer* alusión or referencia a algo/algn, mencionar algo/a algn with reference to sth con referencia or relación a algo, en relación con algo
- 2 2.1 uncountable/no numerable (consultation) consulta (feminine) for future reference para futura(s) consulta(s) for future reference, you ought to get authorization first de aquí en adelante tenga en cuenta que primero hay que pedir autorización for ease of reference para facilitar la consulta she did it without reference to me lo hizo sin consultarme (before noun/delante del nombre) reference book/library obra (feminine)/biblioteca (feminine) de consulta or de referencia for reference use only para consultar en sala 2.2 countable/numerable (indicator) referencia (feminine) our reference: FMH/cs nuestra referencia: FMH/cs (before noun/delante del nombre) reference mark llamada (feminine) reference number número (masculine) de referenciaExample sentences
- They walked in the direction of the barn as he made reference to meeting her models for the project.
- The extent to which folk medicine, which I've made reference to, is practiced is a measure of the quality of the medical service available in that community.
- It is clear that both Messier and Bronfman had the TimeWarner / AOL model in mind when they made reference to music unfolding on the Internet.
- 3 uncountable/no numerable 3.1 (scope, remit) this matter lies outside the reference of the committee este asunto está fuera de las atribuciones or la competencia del comité that's outside the terms of reference of the investigation eso está fuera del ámbito de la investigación point of reference punto (masculine) de referencia 3.2 (relation) reference
tosth relación (feminine) conalgo to bear/have reference to sth tener* relación con algoExample sentences
- The decision was taken without reference to the members who should have been made aware that a funding difficulty existed.
- It is clear the applicant made a deliberate decision, without reference to planning officers, to implement changes.
- We were left to make many decisions without reference to the office back in the city.
- 4 countable/numerable 4.1 (testimonial) referencia (feminine), informe (masculine) can you provide references? ¿puede facilitarnos referencias? they didn't even take up references ni siquiera pidieron referencias or informes 4.2 (person giving testimonial) (American English/inglés norteamericano) you need two references necesitas el aval de dos personasExample sentences
- Mr Bradshaw handed in references from a previous employer which spoke of her reliability and honesty.
- She's really down to earth and has fantastic references from her previous employers.
- ‘I think any employer would want to do a fairly thorough check of references of previous employers of an individual,’ said Mitchell.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to