Translation of reference in Spanish:
- 1 countable or uncountable (allusion)reference (
tosomething/somebody)alusión (feminine) or referencia (feminine) (to make reference to something/somebody aalgo/alguien)hacer alusión or referencia a algo/alguienwith reference to something
mencionar algo/a alguiencon referencia or relación a algo
en relación con algoExample sentences
- They walked in the direction of the barn as he made reference to meeting her models for the project.
- The extent to which folk medicine, which I've made reference to, is practiced is a measure of the quality of the medical service available in that community.
- It is clear that both Messier and Bronfman had the TimeWarner / AOL model in mind when they made reference to music unfolding on the Internet.
- 2 2.1 uncountable (consultation) for future referencepara futura(s) consulta(s)for future reference, you ought to get authorization firstde aquí en adelante tenga en cuenta que primero hay que pedir autorizaciónfor ease of referencepara facilitar la consultashe did it without reference to melo hizo sin consultarme(before noun) reference book/libraryobra (feminine) /biblioteca (feminine) de consulta or de referenciafor reference use onlypara consultar en salaExample sentences2.2 countable (indicator) our reference: FMH/cs
nuestra referencia: FMH/cs(before noun) reference mark reference number
- The decision was taken without reference to the members who should have been made aware that a funding difficulty existed.
- It is clear the applicant made a deliberate decision, without reference to planning officers, to implement changes.
- We were left to make many decisions without reference to the office back in the city.
- 3 uncountable 3.1 (scope, remit) this matter lies outside the reference of the committeeeste asunto está fuera de las atribuciones or la competencia del comitéthat's outside the terms of reference of the investigationeso está fuera del ámbito de la investigaciónpoint of reference 3.2 (relation)reference
tosomethingrelación (feminine)to bear/have reference to something conalgotener relación con algo
- 4 countable 4.1 (testimonial) can you provide references?¿puede facilitarnos referencias?they didn't even take up referencesni siquiera pidieron referencias or informesExample sentences4.2 (person giving testimonial) (American English) you need two references
necesitas el aval de dos personas
- Mr Bradshaw handed in references from a previous employer which spoke of her reliability and honesty.
- She's really down to earth and has fantastic references from her previous employers.
- ‘I think any employer would want to do a fairly thorough check of references of previous employers of an individual,’ said Mitchell.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.