Translation of relieve in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 [pain] calmar, aliviar, mitigar* [literary/literario]; [tension] aliviar, relajar; [monotony/uniformity] romper* allow me to relieve you of your coat permítame que me ocupe de su abrigo they successfully relieve tourists of their cash [humorous/humorístico] despluman a los turistas [humorous/humorístico] to relieve sb of responsibility for sth eximir a algn de la responsabilidad de algo if you could relieve me of some of the workload si pudieras ayudarme con parte del trabajo, si pudieras hacerte cargo de parte del trabajo to relieve sb of his/her duties/command relevar a algn de su cargo/del mandoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (dispel worry of) tranquilizar*
- A teaspoon of oil added to a hot bath will also help to relieve muscular aches and pains.
- For years he had been taking them once a week, as a way of unwinding and relieving the aches and pains from the hard manual labor required by his landscaping business.
- Taken jointly, they prevent the progression of the disease, reduce inflammation, and relieve mild to severe pain.
- Shabby suburban streets are suddenly relieved by an almost strident red building, crisply detailed and well tended.
- Lack of open space to relieve hard-packed pavement and gap-toothed Main Streets drained by malls and sprawl sap the life from downtown.
- Placed in a wilderness of dark mountains, the scene is relieved by a flood of glaring light that holds the figures in a tableau of awful impact.
- She was relieved when he finally stopped the bike in front of Casey's.
- They walked deeper and deeper into the cemetery and finally, Al stopped and she was relieved.
- He was relieved when she finally broke the silence between them.
- 2 [town/fortress] liberarExample sentences
- His last hope of shoring up his flagging position was to relieve Richard's great fortress of Château-Gaillard, the key to Normandy, which Philip was besieging.
- The Red Army and navy attempted to relieve the city with a huge amphibious assault, the Kerch-Feodosiya operation, on 25 December.
reflexive verb/verbo reflexivo
- to relieve oneself [euphemistic/eufemístico] orinar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Distrito Federal is a district of central Mexico, the seat of the federal government. It includes most of Mexico City and its suburbs, and comes under the direct supervision of the Mexican president.