Translation of remove in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (take off) quitar, sacar* she removed her gloves se quitó los guantes the radio can be easily removed la radio se saca fácilmenteto remove sth
fromsth the nurse removed the bandage from his arm la enfermera le quitó la venda del brazo remove the lid from the box quítele or sáquele la tapa a la caja, destape la caja she removed a piece of fluff from his collar le quitó una pelusa del cuelloExample sentences1.2 (take out) [contents] sacar*; [tonsils/appendix] extirpar [formal]; [gallstones/bullet] extraer* [formal]
Example sentences1.3 (edit out) to remove sth (
- He quickly went inside, removed his shirt and shoes, and looked at the two.
- He quickly removed her dress, shoes, and underclothes.
- Filling my palms with the cool water, I washed my face, then quickly removed my clothing.
- You should be able to operate the chair with one hand, removing the tray and positioning your child inside.
- Alain was in a position to easily remove Howarth's pistol from its holster, unnoticed.
- Team members support both of the patient's legs as positioning devices are removed.
fromsth) [word/paragraph/item] suprimir or excluir* algo ( dealgo)
- 2 2.1 (get rid of) [stain/ink/grease] quitar a cream to remove unwanted hair una crema para eliminar el vello superfluo 2.2 (eliminate) [problem/difficulty] eliminar, acabar con; [doubt/suspicion] disipar; [threat/obstacle] eliminarExample sentences
- It is this filtration that removes some of the harsher flavour in the whiskey and the end product is a smoother and mellower taste.
- The million organisms of live rock and sand break down the wastes into nitrate, which can then be removed through mechanical filtration.
- Excess chlorine can be removed by activated carbon filtration.
- 3 (take away, move) to remove sth (
fromsth) [object] quitar algo ( dealgo) to remove sb ( fromsth) sacar* a algn ( dealgo) can you remove this from here? ¿podrías quitar esto de aquí? (out of the way) ¿podrías quitar esto de en medio? the police forcibly removed him from the premises la policía lo sacó del local por la fuerza the inhabitants/valuables had been removed to a place of safety los habitantes/los objetos de valor habían sido trasladados a un lugar seguro to remove oneself [formal or liter] retirarse [formal], irse*, marcharse (especially Spain/especialmente España)
- 4 (dismiss) to remove sb
fromsth [from post/position] destituir* a algn dealgoExample sentences
- He writes his employer to say that he wants someone removed from his hiring committee.
- In September 1968 he was removed from all his posts and expelled from the Communist Party.
- Another joint sitting is then convened and if the motion for the removal of the president is supported by not less than two thirds of the combined membership he is removed from office.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- (change address) (British English/inglés británico) [formal], mudarse, trasladarseExample sentences
- The following year Gainsborough and his family removed to London, taking residence in Schomberg House, Pall Mall.
- The civil service post was resigned and the family removed to the Isle of Man to avoid the punitive tax system of the time.
- In 1969 he founded The Honest Ulsterman, and in 1990 established the Poets' House at Islandmagee with his third wife, later removing to Falcarragh in the Donegal Gaeltacht.
- We were removed from our traditional lands, forced onto reservations on infertile land so barren we couldn't grow crops or raise livestock.
- A former NWFP governor, Lt-Gen I.H. Shah ordered a thriving pheasantry to be removed from Dhodial in District Manshera.
- Let there not be a repeat of what has happened in nearby Zimbabwe where thousands of squatters have been forcibly removed from illegal settlements.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Bonoloto is a Spanish state lottery established in 1988. The others are the Lotería Nacional and the Lotería Primitiva. As with the Lotería Primitiva six numbers are marked on a ticket showing forty-nine numbers and win the main prize if all the numbers come up in the draw.