Translation of remove in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (take off) she removed her glovesthe radio can be easily removedse quitó los guantesto remove somethingla radio se saca fácilmente
fromsomethingthe nurse removed the bandage from his armremove the lid from the boxla enfermera le quitó la venda del brazoshe removed a piece of fluff from his collarquítele or sáquele la tapa a la cajadestape la cajale quitó una pelusa del cuelloExample sentences1.2 (take out)
(contents)(tonsils/appendix)(gallstones/bullet)1.3 (edit out) See examples:to remove something (
- He quickly went inside, removed his shirt and shoes, and looked at the two.
- He quickly removed her dress, shoes, and underclothes.
- Filling my palms with the cool water, I washed my face, then quickly removed my clothing.
fromsomething)(word/paragraph/item)suprimir or excluir algo ( dealgo)
- 2 2.1 (get rid of)(stain/ink/grease)a cream to remove unwanted hair2.2 (eliminate)una crema para eliminar el vello superfluo(doubt/suspicion)(threat/obstacle)Example sentences
- It is this filtration that removes some of the harsher flavour in the whiskey and the end product is a smoother and mellower taste.
- The million organisms of live rock and sand break down the wastes into nitrate, which can then be removed through mechanical filtration.
- Excess chlorine can be removed by activated carbon filtration.
- 3 (take away, move) See examples:to remove something (
fromsomething)(object)to remove somebody (quitar algo ( dealgo) fromsomething)can you remove this from here?sacar a alguien ( dealgo)¿podrías quitar esto de aquí?(out of the way)the police forcibly removed him from the premises¿podrías quitar esto de en medio?the inhabitants/valuables had been removed to a place of safetyla policía lo sacó del local por la fuerzato remove oneself [formal or liter]los habitantes/los objetos de valor habían sido trasladados a un lugar seguroretirarse [formal]irsemarcharse (especially Spain)Example sentences
- You should be able to operate the chair with one hand, removing the tray and positioning your child inside.
- Alain was in a position to easily remove Howarth's pistol from its holster, unnoticed.
- Team members support both of the patient's legs as positioning devices are removed.
- 4 (dismiss) See examples:to remove somebody
fromsomething(from post/position)destituir a alguien dealgoExample sentences
- He writes his employer to say that he wants someone removed from his hiring committee.
- In September 1968 he was removed from all his posts and expelled from the Communist Party.
- Another joint sitting is then convened and if the motion for the removal of the president is supported by not less than two thirds of the combined membership he is removed from office.
- (change address)(British English) [formal]mudarsetrasladarseExample sentences
- The following year Gainsborough and his family removed to London, taking residence in Schomberg House, Pall Mall.
- The civil service post was resigned and the family removed to the Isle of Man to avoid the punitive tax system of the time.
- In 1969 he founded The Honest Ulsterman, and in 1990 established the Poets' House at Islandmagee with his third wife, later removing to Falcarragh in the Donegal Gaeltacht.
- We were removed from our traditional lands, forced onto reservations on infertile land so barren we couldn't grow crops or raise livestock.
- A former NWFP governor, Lt-Gen I.H. Shah ordered a thriving pheasantry to be removed from Dhodial in District Manshera.
- Let there not be a repeat of what has happened in nearby Zimbabwe where thousands of squatters have been forcibly removed from illegal settlements.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to