Translation of reserve in Spanish:
- 1 countable (stock) gold/oil reservesreservas de oro/petróleoI'm keeping this money in reserve for emergencieseste dinero lo tengo reservado or de reserva para cualquier emergencia(before noun) reserve gas o (British English) petrol tanktanque (masculine) or depósito (masculine) (de gasolina) de reservaExample sentences
- The government used to prop up prices by paying farmers to keep land fallow, setting floor prices for some commodities and building stock reserves.
- If there is a serious disruption in supply, then those reserves will be tapped.
- He says that while Australia has significant gas reserves, supplies from overseas will be needed in the future.
- 2 countable 2.1the Reserve (Military) 2.2 (Sport) (substitute player)(before noun) (goalkeeper/referee)reserve team
de reservaExample sentences
- Presently, the reserve team has 11 players under age 21 including seven high school players.
- It also makes sure the reserve team isn't over-burdened with senior players keeping youngsters out.
- He progressed to the reserve team and has played senior rugby with the club for the past four seasons.
- You have to knuckle down and get on with it, as there were times when I would be the most senior professional playing in the reserves after travelling with the first team and not being involved.
- Whilst I have been patient during the last two years it has become very repetitive playing in the reserves and I needed to play to prove to myself that I was capable of performing at that level.
- Only a fool would put a player of his quality in the reserves for two seasons and his manager is no fool.
- 3also: reserves plural3.1 (Military)reservas (feminine plural)Example sentences3.2
(British English) (Sport)
- During the war it housed the reserve troops who would protect the government from invading forces.
- Those additional officers were provided from the force reserve which is available to ensure we have sufficient organisational flexibility to meet operational demands.
- He then voluntarily developed and trained a reserve force of assorted Army troops trapped with the Marines.
- 4 countable (land)also: game reservealso: nature reserveExample sentences
- Pursuing missionary work among the Aborigines, he established a native reserve at Poonindie, near Port Lincoln in SA.
- However, they were greeted by a two-kilometre roadblock of residents from Quebec, New Brunswick and the nearby native reserves.
- The cigarettes were then allegedly sold to smugglers and brought illegally into Canada through native reserves and border checkpoints.
- 5 uncountable 5.1 (self-restraint)Example sentences5.2 (qualification) without reserve
- Due to the after-effects of sun and a bottle of Sancerre, my usual British reserve was sadly lacking.
- However, his plans may be derailed by a combination of intrinsically British factors: natural reserve and a reluctance to get up early in the morning.
- Only Mrs. Martin and her two daughters were present, and just when their caution and reserve were starting to melt, it was time to leave.
- 1.1 (book)(room/seat/table)
reservarExample sentences1.2 (keep, save)to reserve something (
- Your table is always reserved in the dining room.
- The closing date for season ticket holders to reserve their seats and get discounted tickets for the friendly match is tomorrow.
- All seats with tables were reserved - although they seemed empty most of the night.
forsomething)reservar or guardar algo (to reserve (one's) judgment the company reserves the right to change … paraalgo)la compañía se reserva el derecho de cambiar …all rights reservedreservados todos los derechosExample sentences
- Then drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquor.
- Strain, reserving the milk but discarding the garlic and thyme, and mash, adding the cream and milk until fluffy - you may not need all the milk.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a small amount of the cooking water.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.