Translation of reserve in Spanish:
- 1 countable (stock) gold/oil reservesreservas de oro/petróleoI'm keeping this money in reserve for emergencieseste dinero lo tengo reservado or de reserva para cualquier emergencia(before noun) reserve gas or (British) petrol tanktanque (masculine) or depósito (masculine) (de gasolina) de reservaExample sentences
- The government used to prop up prices by paying farmers to keep land fallow, setting floor prices for some commodities and building stock reserves.
- If there is a serious disruption in supply, then those reserves will be tapped.
- He says that while Australia has significant gas reserves, supplies from overseas will be needed in the future.
- 2 countable 2.1the Reserve (Military)Example sentences2.2
also: reserves plural(Military)reservas (feminine plural)Example sentences
- During the war it housed the reserve troops who would protect the government from invading forces.
- Those additional officers were provided from the force reserve which is available to ensure we have sufficient organisational flexibility to meet operational demands.
- He then voluntarily developed and trained a reserve force of assorted Army troops trapped with the Marines.
- Attendance allowance is paid to assist a member of the reserves with travel expenses when required to attend a specified place within Australia to render reserve service.
- If you're a member of the reserves or National Guard, you may be eligible for a new tax deduction this year.
- Under the U.S. legislation, service with the armed forces is in two periods: the regular forces and the reserve forces.
- 3 (Sport) (substitute player)(before noun) (goalkeeper/referee)reserve team
de reservaExample sentences
- Presently, the reserve team has 11 players under age 21 including seven high school players.
- It also makes sure the reserve team isn't over-burdened with senior players keeping youngsters out.
- He progressed to the reserve team and has played senior rugby with the club for the past four seasons.
- You have to knuckle down and get on with it, as there were times when I would be the most senior professional playing in the reserves after travelling with the first team and not being involved.
- Whilst I have been patient during the last two years it has become very repetitive playing in the reserves and I needed to play to prove to myself that I was capable of performing at that level.
- Only a fool would put a player of his quality in the reserves for two seasons and his manager is no fool.
- 4 countable (land)also: game reservealso: nature reserveExample sentences
- Pursuing missionary work among the Aborigines, he established a native reserve at Poonindie, near Port Lincoln in SA.
- However, they were greeted by a two-kilometre roadblock of residents from Quebec, New Brunswick and the nearby native reserves.
- The cigarettes were then allegedly sold to smugglers and brought illegally into Canada through native reserves and border checkpoints.
- 5 uncountable 5.1 (self-restraint)Example sentences5.2 (qualification) without reserve
sin reservaExample sentences
- Due to the after-effects of sun and a bottle of Sancerre, my usual British reserve was sadly lacking.
- However, his plans may be derailed by a combination of intrinsically British factors: natural reserve and a reluctance to get up early in the morning.
- Only Mrs. Martin and her two daughters were present, and just when their caution and reserve were starting to melt, it was time to leave.
- Two game systems from my first article in this series qualify as board game systems without reserve: Orion and the piecepack.
- The presidential elections, however, showed that public opinion polls and sociologists are not to be trusted without reserve.
- The new leadership accepted his recommendations without reserve.
- 1 (book)(room/seat/table)
- Your table is always reserved in the dining room.
- The closing date for season ticket holders to reserve their seats and get discounted tickets for the friendly match is tomorrow.
- All seats with tables were reserved - although they seemed empty most of the night.
- 2 (keep, save)to reserve something (
forsomething)reservar or guardar algo (to reserve (one's) judgment the company reserves the right to change … paraalgo)la compañía se reserva el derecho de cambiar …all rights reservedreservados todos los derechosExample sentences
- Then drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquor.
- Strain, reserving the milk but discarding the garlic and thyme, and mash, adding the cream and milk until fluffy - you may not need all the milk.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a small amount of the cooking water.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.