Translation of rib in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 countable (Anatomy) she gave him a dig in the ribsle dio un codazo en el costadoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 countable or uncountable (Cookery) (before noun) rib roast (American English)
- As it was, he survived with a broken jaw, ribs and collar bone.
- The team also discovered parts of a thigh bone, ribs, vertebrae, a collarbone, pelvis and shoulder blade.
- Miss Gomersall, whose injuries included a broken jaw and a fractured collar bone, ribs and pelvis, could not remember anything about the crash.
(carne de vaca de junto a las costillas)Example sentences
- Whole leaves, leaf ribs, leaves without ribs, and petioles were separately analysed.
- Here is a central rib of the leaf blade with mesophyll composed of undifferentiated cells.
- That is, leaf tissues yellow while the leaf ribs remain green.
- Chewing pork ribs with meat that falls off the bone, glazed in a finger-licking sticky sauce, is one of the pleasures I enjoy on holiday.
- Discard the vegetables and bones, or if you're using beef ribs, remove the meat before discarding the bones.
- I am keen on the idea of a wing rib of beef, after all it is the traditional Christmas day dish.
- 2 countable 2.1(of vault, arch) nervio (masculine)(of wing) (Zoology)
nervadura (feminine)(of leaf) nervio (masculine)Example sentences
- By reducing the complexity of traditional intersecting rib vaults, he proposed a pure barrel form, cantilevered above a glazed screen.
- This abbreviated variation of the looping rib vault was also an innovation of Benedikt Ried in Bohemia and his followers in Germany.
- Aalto's trademark ribs of cobalt blue tiles impart a lively rhythm to the angled wall that faces the bank of elevators.
- He refers to the presence of a keel and ribs made of light timbers, which indicates he was referring to curraghs.
- Indeed, the structure of the world was sometimes compared to that of building a ship, where the keel and ribs would be laid out first.
- The transverse ribs and the deck are similar to those in the back spans.
Example sentences2.2 (ridge)
- If the nails are not steel, we ask the children to try to get a piece of old bicycle spoke or an umbrella rib, and bend it backwards and forwards until they have broken a piece off.
- The umbrella itself has tiny holes and is pulled slightly off one rib.
(along gun barrel) estría (feminine)(on spine of book) nervio (masculine)Example sentences2.3 (in knitted garment) in rib uncountable
- The 7075 tubing allows us to shave a few pounds off the wing and the carbon ribs reduce the weight by almost another 2 pounds.
- There, full-depth tank-end wing ribs formed the ends of the four-tank fuel system.
en punto elástico ( or en canalé etc)Example sentences2.4 (joke) (American English)
- This boat then had 11 ribs added to strengthen the hull.
- The rib was then raised into position, and pulled sideways to connect to the dovetails on the cross supports.
- The roof was made from exterior oak trusses covered in lead while the original ceiling was of medieval construction with oak ribs and bosses and panels between of thin oak boarding.
- I particularly liked this pattern, which was easy to memorise and a tad more interesting than a rib or stocking stitch.
- Mark a centerline across the top of each rib and lay out four evenly spaced hole locations. 5.
- A very forgiving rib, easy to memorise and fast to knit.
transitive verb -bb-
- [colloquial]tomarle el pelo a [colloquial]Example sentences
- There's so much affection in the way that they cheer each other on, in the loving way they interact with their children, in the way that they rib each other and tease and play and work.
- Billy in particular is a near-perfect example of Angel at its best, constantly presenting all the characters involved with difficult moral choices and at the same time mercilessly ribbing them for acting as they do.
- Yet I would stress that the first player who goes public with their homosexuality will face few problems from team-mates - over and above being mercilessly ribbed.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.