- 1 (puzzle) adivinanza (feminine), acertijo (masculine) to speak in riddles hablar en claveMore example sentences
- Shorter answers every other question with a riddle and punctuates his conversation with statements such as ‘The only constant is change.’
- During the latest bachelor party, a man in an ape suit served as master of ceremonies as guests were required to answer a series of riddles.
- Fleur plays Princess Turandot, declaring that she will marry the man who correctly answers her three riddles, while those who fail will be killed.
- 2 (mystery) enigma (masculine), misterio (masculine)More example sentences
- Not only has it helped to explain life's innermost riddles, but it has posed challenging questions about human behaviour and ethics, and offered controversial new technologies.
- Through Christ and in Christ, the riddles of sorrow and death grow meaningful.
- A set of hypotheses has been suggested to explain this exceptional riddle of fish reproduction, but as yet they remain untested.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (perforate) (often passive/frecuentemente en voz pasiva)to be riddled
withsth his body was riddled with bullets lo habían acribillado a balazos, tenía el cuerpo lleno de plomo [colloquial/familiar] she was riddled with cancer tenía cáncer por todo el cuerpo, estaba cundida de cáncer (Mexico/México) the chairs are riddled with woodworm las sillas están llenas de carcoma or todas carcomidas the organization is riddled with corruption la corrupción ha llegado a todos los niveles de la organización her explanation is riddled with inconsistencies su explicación está plagada de incongruencias
- 2 (sieve) cribar