transitive verb present participle ripping past tense, past participle ripped
- 1 (tear) I've ripped my skirtme he hecho un roto en la faldahe ripped the photograph (in)to piecesrompió la foto en mil pedazosshe ripped the letter openabrió la carta de un rasgónthe explosion ripped the building apartla explosión destrozó el edificiothey ripped the posters downarrancaron los cartelesthe seats were ripped out by the explosionla explosión arrancó de cuajo los asientoshe ripped the newspaper from my handsme arrebató or me arrancó el periódico de las manosI ripped out the pagearranqué la páginaExample sentences
- I decided to wear my favorite pair of blue low rider jeans, which were ripped at both knees, along with a normal yellow t-shirt.
- He was wearing his favorite jeans that were ripped down the left knee.
- He was wearing ripped jeans and his now-fraying Peter Pan t-shirt.
- 2 (Computing)(CD/track)
- There have been hi-fi units equipped with hard drives, but nothing beats a personal computer for ripping and managing an audio collection.
- Media encoding for home and professional use is becoming more popular, as more users rip audio to their hard drives, or edit home movies.
- Typically, you'll need separate software to do specific tasks, such as burning DVDs, ripping audio, and of course burning CDs.
intransitive verb present participle ripping past tense, past participle ripped
- 1 (tear)(paper/cloth)as I lifted my arm, I heard something rip
rasgarseal levantar el brazo, oí un desgarrón or rasgónExample sentences
- She hit and hit until she'd gotten through to the picture itself and then it finally was heard ripping apart.
- The hiss turned into a scream, this one more like a ship's keel ripping apart under pressure than a triumphant blood-chilling cry like before.
- Sasaki huddled against the hot grains of sand, gritting her teeth, curled up in a ball and hugging her shoulders as if to keep herself from ripping apart.
- 2 (move fast) the incoming tide rips along the narrow channella marea sube a toda prisa por el estrecho canalto let rip [colloquial]then the group really let ripentonces el grupo se desatóentonces el grupo se lanzó con todo [colloquial]she let rip with a torrent of abusesoltó una sarta de insultosshe really let rip at meme dijo de todolet it rip!¡métele a fondo or a todo gas!