- 1 1.1 (Botany) to pull a plant up by the or its roots to take root (plant)(idea)to put down or strike roots (person) to destroy something root and branch
arraigarseacabar con algo de raíz or por completoa root-and-branch purge of the partyuna purga radical del partidoroot systemraíces (feminine plural)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (of hair, tooth) (before noun) root canal treatment
- But trees help control runoff by soaking water in through their roots and providing sturdy support against erosion.
- When planted, the underground portion forms roots and the above ground portion forms branches and leaves.
- Wood is composed of bundles of microscopic tubes that were used to transport water from the roots of the tree to the leaves.
- A few sweet roots, parsnips, carrots and a stalk of celery will add flavour to the pan juices.
- From the mid-16th century suckets were made in Britain from local fruits, vegetables, and roots of many kinds.
- In this street market, celeriac, parsley root, arugula and frisée were available.
- 2 2.1 (origin) to get to the root of a problemllegar a la raíz de un problemadrink is (at) the root of all his troublesla bebida es la causa de todos sus problemas(before noun) root causecausa (feminine) fundamentalExample sentences2.2
also: roots plural(family, background)raíces (feminine plural)she has no rootsno tiene raícesExample sentences
- Perspectives are the root, the basic fiber, and the foundation of every social plague impoverishing us.
- If I had not experienced some degree of disappointment and been determined to find the root cause, I may not have gained important knowledge about myself.
- ‘Failure to address added services at the point of origin is the root of payment failure,’ he says.
- It's about my background and about roots, family, music and manhood.
- Joey had curly brown hair and was as dark as an African American, but his family roots originate from Spain.
- They and their families have their historical roots in the original villages.
- 3 (Linguistics)Example sentences
- Words combine with words, or prefixes and suffixes combine with roots, in ways that over time drift away from perfect sense.
- It's pretty clear, based on Green's paper-doll explanation, that the root morpheme must have been puppet.
- Significantly, the root of bahelawi is bahel, meaning culture.
- (Botany)Example sentences
- With all of that said, today it is possible to grow Pink Dogwoods by rooting cuttings under intermittent mist.
- The earlier the cuttings are rooted the taller will be the blooming plants.
- It's a good time to root stem cuttings so you will have new plants for the garden next spring.
- Dryland corn is rooting at the three foot depth and, even with high temperatures and lack of precipitation, it is looking good.
- The cuttings root very easily in sand or in a rooting medium.
- These include the ability of mother plants to produce plenty of wood, the ease with which cuttings root, and also the ease with which they can be grafted.
- (search, forage)(pig)I don't want him rooting through my desk
hozarno quiero que ande hurgando en mi escritorioshe was rooting around in the attic for her racketestaba hurgando entre las cosas del desván buscando su raquetaExample sentences
- On the Bowling Green near Manhattan's southern tip, for instance, stood a vacant pedestal enclosed by an iron fence around which stray pigs often rooted.
- At night we saw dogs rooting in the shadows, and men walking in the cold, their hands drifting out of warm pockets reaching for what?
- We passed through a narrow gate, left open, and saw an empty cattle shed, and next to it a circular pig sty, with a few great swine rooting through the strawy mud.
- The girl rushes to join her mother, who is rooting through some old piles of lace handkerchiefs.
- These young designers root through junk piles and garage sales to create one-of-a-kind, quirky pieces of furniture.
- He turned and rooted through a pile of folders on a table beside him.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.