Translation of salute in Spanish:
- 1 countable (gesture) to take the salute (on dais)presidir el desfileExample sentences
- I lifted my glass in salute to all my American friends, enjoying the big Thanksgiving meal, and thought with only a tinge of envy of the delights of roast turkey with all the trimmings.
- In a final mark of respect, a rescue helicopter circled low over the bay, dropped a wreath into the sea, and dipped its nose in salute to those on the headland.
- When the jet reached Manchester Airport, the aircraft's wings were tipped in salute to its new home before circling and touching down.
- 2 countable (firing of guns) a 21-gun saluteExample sentences
- Excitement still pervaded the air, which hummed with voices and the crackle and pop of logs in the fire like a twenty-one gun salute.
- She received a 21-gun salute during the welcoming ceremony at Merdeka Palace.
- Hu, who released a short statement outlining the goals of his visit, was given a 21-gun salute as part of an official welcoming ceremony, she said.
- 1 (Military)(officer)to salute the flag
saludarsaludar la banderaExample sentences
- I'm reminded of the famous essay by the semiotician Roland Barthes, who analysed an image of a black soldier saluting the French flag.
- I remember when the bonded labourers decided to salute the national flag for the first time, on Independence Day in 1983.
- True patriotism is more than saluting the flag and obeying the current administration.
- 2 (acknowledge, pay tribute) [formal](courage/achievement)I can only salute your singlemindedness
rendir homenaje ano puedo sino aplaudir su determinaciónExample sentences
- When two boxers trade punches for 12 rounds, we salute the champion and respect the loser.
- Let's all salute an achievement of truly monumental proportions.
- To my colleagues who aspired for this position, I salute you and respect you for the good fight we had.
- 3 (greet) [formal](friend/person/event)
- As we walked, I saw many men greeting or saluting us by kissing her forefinger and bringing it to their forehead.
- She waved cheerfully and Kyle saluted her right back.
- Players saluted supporters and the fans hailed their heroes who, at the third attempt in seven roller-coaster seasons, had managed to avoid instant relegation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.