Translation of scab in Spanish:
- 1 countable (on wound)Example sentences
- As this mesh dries, it hardens and forms a scab to protect the wound as it heals.
- Women should therefore actively avoid becoming pregnant for at least four weeks after vaccination and until the scab has completely healed and fallen off.
- He has played until his fingers blistered, the blisters burst, the wounds scabbed and the scabs formed calluses.
- 2 countable (strike breaker) [pejorative]esquirol (masculine and feminine) [pejorative]
rompehuelgas (masculine and feminine) [pejorative]
carnero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine) (River Plate area) [colloquial] [pejorative]Example sentences
- The newspapers, in full swing of yellow journalism, want to see violence in the yards between the scabs and the striking workers, but there is no violence.
- Industrialists struggling against labor unions often exploited the new immigrants, making them scabs during worker strikes.
- The government will say that the ACTU has passed a motion condemning criminal conduct so it should also condemn workers standing on a picket line refusing to let scabs in because that's criminal conduct.
- 3 uncountable (disease)Example sentences
- The state was also called in to deal with stock disease, especially scab - a major constraint on wool production.
- Copperas was used as an eye ointment during the medieval period, to treat scab in sheep, and later (presumably in small quantities) as a laxative.
- The disappointing turnout was probably due to the regulations which restricted sheep movements in a bid to prevent scab.
- Apple scab is a fungal disease that causes black splotches on leaves and fruit.
- Apple trees are commonly attacked by a fungal disease called apple scab.
- The diseases are apple scab, powdery mildew, and cedar-apple rust.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.