- 1 countable or uncountable 1.1 (in primary, secondary education) to go to schoolir al colegio or a la escuelaare you still at o (American English) in school?¿todavía vas al colegio?he began school in 1950empezó el colegio en 1950when he left schoolcuando terminó el colegiowhen do the children go back to school?¿cuándo empiezan las clases?he teaches school (American English)
¿cuándo vuelven los niños al colegio?es maestroI had to read it out in front of the whole schooltuve que leerlo delante de todo el colegioschool's out [colloquial]se acabaron las clasesse acabó el cole [colloquial]I'll see you after schoolte veo después de claseI had to stay behind after school (as punishment)me tuve que quedar castigado después de claseI missed school yesterdayayer falté a clase or al colegio(before noun) (uniform/rules/yard)
del colegio(bus/inspector)children of school age school attendance
escolarasistencia (feminine) al colegioschool fees(cuotas que se pagan en un colegio particular)school vacations o (British English) holidays school hours
colegiatura (feminine) (Mexico)horas (feminine plural) de colegioschool lifevida (feminine) escolarschool lunch o dinner (British English) school playground (British English)patio (masculine) del colegioschool report (British English)boletín (masculine) de calificaciones or notas(Mexico) boleta (feminine) de calificaciones or notasExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (college, university) (American English) where did you go to school?
- At school he excelled at all sports, becoming captain of athletics and representing his school in the public schools championships.
- At school, if your teacher had told the class that one kid was going to be famous, how many kids would have said it would be you?
- When I was in school, I used to do impressions of my friends at school and stuff like that.
¿en qué universidad estudiaste?
- We didn't begin with a project for a house or a school or an office building.
- It looks at facilities like schools, office buildings and factories, and the chemicals likely to be in them.
- They found rates 50 per cent higher than levels established for American schools and public buildings.
¿a qué universidad fuiste?Example sentences1.3 (department) he graduated from law/medical school
se licenció en derecho/medicinathe School of Law/Dentistryla Facultad or (Chile tb) la Escuela de Derecho/OdontologíaExample sentences
- It was therefore out of necessity that we were all drafted into the school's varsity basketball team.
- That's so sad for Scott because he plays tennis all his life and he's a varsity player of their school.
- Many successful people who couldn't afford Ivy League schools graduated from city and state colleges.
- Optometry courses lasting three years are taught in eight university departments and schools in the UK.
- In order to acquire the funding to expand departments, art schools and universities had to meet the formal requirements attached to the bill.
- Collaborations with other departments or schools at the university also help students explore alternatives.
- 2 countable or uncountable 2.1 (other training establishment) driving schoolacademia (feminine) or escuela (feminine) de conductoreslanguage school
academia (feminine) or escuela (feminine) de choferes (Latin America)academia (feminine) de idiomas
escuela (feminine) de idiomasExample sentences2.2 (source of experience) the school of life
- It is set in a dancing school, which opens with a scene of disarray (music and chairs scattered around).
- In this latter regard I am not sure that it is the role of design schools to produce design critics and design writers as much as it is to explore and engender critical practices.
- Art schools trained applied artists to create commercial art and decorative furnishings but offered no training in new technologies.
- 3 countable (tendency, group) the Dutch/Impressionist/Marxist schoolla escuela holandesa/impresionista/marxistathere are several schools of thought on this issuesobre este tema hay varias corrientes de opinióna politician of the old schoolun político de la vieja escuela or de la vieja guardiaExample sentences
- Furthermore, particular schools of artists and artistic movements are also separate markets.
- The hanging schemes did not accentuate the unique character of individual artists and schools.
- At the same time, a school of white jazz grew up in New York, led by Red Nichols, the Dorsey brothers Tommy and Jimmy, and others.
- My poetic revelation occurred in the last stages of modernism, when the various schools of the avant-garde were beginning to appear in Latin America.
- For fans of old and new school metal this is a great mix to have cranked up in your car stereo.
- Dvorak himself deliberately failed to initiate an American school of music.
- (of dolphins, whales) grupo (masculine)Example sentences
- The area was swarming with people the way a school of fish in a net would flop about.
- Shy leaves hide under their brethren as the icy chill dives and chases each one like a predator feasting on a school of fish.
- Inside her cluttered mind memories swam like a skittish school of fish.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.