Santería is a religious cult, fusing African beliefs and Catholicism, which developed among African Yoruba slaves in Cuba. Followers believe both in a single supreme being and also in orishas, deities who each share an identity with a Christian saint and who combine a force of nature with human characteristics. Rituals involve music, dancing, sacrificial offerings, divination, and going into trances.
- 1.1 (have skirmish) enfrentarse police and demonstrators scuffled hubo una escaramuza entre policías y manifestantesMore example sentences1.2 (move quickly) correr mice scuffling around in the attic ratones correteando por el desván
More example sentences
- The inevitability of globalization was evident even to the demonstrators who scuffled with armed Swiss national police units in seeking to disrupt the proceedings.
- Outside the hotel where the auction took place Tuesday, several protesters scuffled with security guards when they tried to push into the ballroom to block the sales.
- Two campers are scuffling with each other off to one side.
- They scuffled and banged around downstairs for a few minutes, but then they were gone.
- Cole scuffled over, his hands in his pockets and his eyes downcast.
- Then, having lost her nerve already by her mother's harsh words, she scuffled back towards the exit in retreat.