- 1 1.1 segundo the second time he rang me la segunda vez que me llamó her second husband su segundo marido he had a second cup of tea se tomó otra taza de té he's already had a second helping ya ha repetido or (Chi) se ha repetido he won't do that a second time no lo volverá a hacer to give sb a second chance darle* a algn otra oportunidad every second Tuesday/week cada dos martes/semanas, martes/semana por medio (CS, Per) second generation segunda generación (f) second home segunda vivienda (f) second language segundo idioma (m) second mortgage segunda hipoteca (f), hipoteca (f) en segundo grado 1.2 (in seniority, standing) segundo the country's second city la segunda ciudad del país our service is second to none nuestro servicio es insuperable
- 1.1 (in position, time, order) en segundo lugar United finished second to Rovers in the championship el United quedó en segundo lugar en la clasificación después del Rovers work comes second, family first la familia está antes que el trabajo 1.2 (secondly) en segundo lugar 1.3 (second class) [Rail] [travel] en segunda (clase) 1.4 (with superl) the second tallest boy in the class el chico que le sigue al más alto de la clase the second highest building el segundo edificio en altura it's the second largest city in the world ocupa el segundo lugar entre las ciudades más grandes del mundo
- 1 1.1 (of time) segundo (m)More example sentences1.2 (moment) segundo (m) it doesn't take a second no lleva ni un segundo, es cosa de un segundo 1.3 (of angle) segundo (m)
More example sentences
- Torrance squeezed the trigger, waited twenty five seconds and fired again.
- God, why couldn't he have come just three seconds earlier?
- The score that well and truly got Tallow back into contention came just sixty seconds before the half-time break.
- In actual numbers its resolution is about half an arc second, which is equivalent of seeing a five cent piece from about 10 kilometres away.
- For a gyroscope in polar orbit, it works out to be about 0.041 arc second per year.
- It crosses at a point 50 seconds of arc to the east of the previous year.
- 2 2.1second (gear) [Auto] (no art) segunda (f) 2.2 (in competition) he finished a good/poor second quedó en un honroso/deslucido segundo lugar 2.3 (BrE) [Educ] upper/lower secondsegunda y tercera nota de la escala de calificaciones de un título universitario
- 5(seconds pl)(second helping) [colloquial/familiar] can I have seconds? ¿puedo repetir or (Chi) repetirme?More example sentences
- Why, wait just one second… that's a gentleman on the stage!
- Everyone bought what was put in the basket without even a second's hesitation.
- In a second he was out of bed, running towards the burglar and ‘screeching’ at him to get out.
- 6 [Mus] segunda (f)
- 1 (support) [motion/candidate] secundar, apoyarMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Major supported her, and seconded her nomination for the first ballot.
- After the nomination was seconded, we voted on whether to give John a bid.
- The adoption of the plan was seconded by Councillor Richard Finn.
- Leader of the US delegation, then-Vice President Al Gore's view was seconded and reiterated by distinguished speakers from all over the world.
- That view is seconded by Robert Bryce in his book.
- All evidence pointed to it and his gut feeling seconded his view.