Translation of seek in Spanish:
transitive verb past tense & past participle sought
- 1 (search for) [formal](person/object)they set sail to seek a new route to the Indies
buscarzarparon en busca de una nueva ruta a las Indiasthe reason is not far to seek [literary]el motivo es obvioExample sentences
- The situation facing some women upon their release, however, is so desolate that they have returned to the prison seeking food and shelter.
- Widespread logging destroyed winter shelter, while lumber-jacks sought the lean meat.
- Dom raced back to Don and explained that there was a boy who sought food and shelter.
- Clubs and societies all over the country are organising fundraisers and shops and pubs have buckets organised that they don't need to shake or rattle - customers seek them out to make their donation.
- Many cards were outdated as people moved to new jobs, forcing him to seek them out before starting all over again.
- Rather, such evidence is not unearthed because of the lack of the will to seek it out.
- 2 (try to obtain)(work/shelter/companionship)
buscar(solution/explanation)she was seeking revenge
tratar de encontrar
buscarquería vengarsehe went to London to seek his fortunese fue a Londres a probar fortunashe's always seeking attentionsiempre está tratando de llamar la atenciónExample sentences
- They are an incredibly valuable resource to a transforming Army that has desired and sought adaptive capacity in its leaders.
- As such, only verbal consent was sought and obtained.
- In none of the transfer cases which have been cited to us had the consent of the man been sought or obtained.
- 3 (request)(approval/help)we had to seek the advice of a specialist
pedirtuvimos que asesorarnos con un especialista
tuvimos que consultar a un especialistaExample sentences
- I've tried to get him to accept my advice that he should seek medical help, but he persists.
- Following advice from a teacher, Smriti sought medical help but the doctor did not tell her that her son was suffering from schizophrenia.
- People concerned should seek medical attention when early symptoms set in.
- 4 (try to bring about) [formal](reconciliation)to seek to +
tratar de lograr
infinitivetratarthey sought to overthrow the government de+ infinitive
infinitivetrataron de or intentaron derrocar al gobierno
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.