Translation of seize in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (grab, snatch) [hand/object] agarrar; [opportunity] aprovechar; [power] tomar, hacerse* con he seized me by the shoulder me agarró del hombro I seized the handrail me agarré or me así de la barandilla she seized the book from his hands le arrebató el libro de las manosExample sentences
- Jin escaped Vamp's hold, only to be seized by the arms.
- The two attendants quickly hurried forward and roughly seized Angel about her arms.
- She seized the older boy by the arm and drew him inside.
- This magnificent opportunity was eagerly seized by modernizing employers.
- This season, injuries to others gave him his opportunity; he seized his chance with aplomb, and has been clinging to the shirt ever since.
- We must admit that China's decision to seize a business opportunity to promote Chinese language has had good results.
- 2 2.1 (capture) [town/fortress] tomar, apoderarse de; [person] detener* 2.2 (confiscate) [assets/property] confiscar*; (impound) embargar*; [cargo/contraband] confiscar*, decomisar; [drugs/arms] incautar, incautarse de; [copies of book] secuestrarExample sentences
- His right to possession may be suspended or temporarily divested if the goods are seized by the police under lawful authority.
- The problem was that he needed access to funds seized by the police for legal fees.
- They also produced receipts which they said identified where all of the items seized by the police had been purchased.
- The government had for days promised an all-out offensive against the rebels who seized half the country after a bloody coup attempt on September 19.
- He has admitted he was one of the 32 armed rebels who seized the school last September.
- Things did turn sour, though, when Chechen rebels seized a Moscow theater.
- 3 (overcome) (usually passive/normalmente en voz pasiva) she was seized with panic fue presa del pánico they were seized by foreboding les dio un presentimiento he was seized with the desire to … lo acometió el deseo de …, sintió garas de …Example sentences
- Three miles into the journey she was seized with labour pains.
- I gasp sharply as a sudden pain seizes me around my waist.
- Fear seized her as she suddenly realized that something was indeed different.
seize onseize upon verb + preposition + object/verbo + preposición + complemento [chance] aprovechar her remarks were seized on by the opposition la oposición se apresuró a sacar partido de sus declaraciones he seized on the plan as the only viable solution se aferró al plan como única solución posible
seize upverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio [engine] agarrotarse, fundirse (Latin America/América Latina) ; [muscles] agarrotarse; [traffic] paralizarse*
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to