Translation of senate in Spanish:
- 1.1 (Politics)the Senateel senado or SenadoExample sentences1.2 (of university)
≈ rectorado (masculine)
- The bicameral parliament is comprised of a senate and national assembly.
- We also have a new parliament, a national assembly and a senate appointed by the different factions.
- Governors, often elected by the legislatures for one-year terms, were denied the veto, and senates (the new upper houses) were not allowed to amend money bills.
junta (feminine) de gobierno (Mexico) (junta integrada por el rector y algunos profesores)Example sentences
- The faculty senate at Virginia State University was abolished in 2001.
- Six days after his arrest, and following consultation with members of his department and of the faculty senate, the university president acted to dismiss him.
- Resolutions from the university senate and several protests, including a hunger strike by seventeen students, have sought to focus public attention on the disparity in benefits.
Cultural Note: Senate
El Senado es la cámara alta del Congreso → Congress de Estados Unidos. Está formado por 100 senadores → Senator, dos por cada estado y son elegidos por períodos de seis años. Toda nueva ley debe ser aprobada por el Senado y la Cámara de Representantes → House of Representatives, pero el Senado tiene responsabilidad especial en asuntos relacionados con la política exterior → President.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.