- 1 (expressing desirability)you should be studyingdebería ( or deberías etc)debiera ( or debieras etc)she shouldn't treat her friends like thatdeberías or debieras estar estudiandotendrías que estar estudiandoyou should have thought of that beforeno debería or debiera tratar así a sus amigosI've brought you some flowers — oh, you shouldn't havedeberías or debieras haber pensado en eso antestendrías or tenías que haber pensado en eso antesshall I invite them? — I think you shouldte he traído unas flores — ¡no te deberías or debieras haber molestado! or ¡no te tenías or tendrías que haber molestado!that is as it should be¿los invito? — creo que deberías hacerloyou should've seen the look on her face!así es como debe serI didn't have any breakfast — you should've said!¡tenías or tendrías que haber visto la cara que puso!no desayuné — ¡me lo hubieras dicho! or ¡habérmelo dicho!Example sentences
- They should make it their duty to make everything as simple and straightforward for you as possible.
- When a person enters the army, they have to swear an oath, and they should fulfil their obligation.
- At the very least the council should assume a duty of care to all the kids using this scheme.
- 2 (indicating probability, logical expectation)it should add up to 100debería ( or deberías etc) (de)debiera ( or debieras etc) (de)how should I know?tendría que or debería (de) or debiera (de) dar or sumar 100why should they want to come here?¿cómo quieres que sepa?¿cómo voy a saber (yo)?¿por qué han or habrían de querer venir aquí?Example sentences
- All these factors should be enough to gain Magee victory, probably on points.
- The yellow bus scheme should alleviate any worries parents have about public transport.
- Having won in Katowice, England should be good enough to do it again at home.
- 3 (with first person only) 3.1 (conditional use) (British English) [formal]I should like to see herI shouldn't have mentioned it if he hadn't asked me tome gustaría verlaI shouldn't be surprised if they didn't turn upno lo habría or hubiera mencionado si él no me hubiera preguntadoI should be grateful if you would send me the detailsno me sorprendería que no aparecieran3.2 (venturing a guess) (British English) I shouldn't think the chairs are very oldle agradecería (que) tuviera la gentileza de enviarme la informaciónI should think she must be over 80no me parece que las sillas sean muy antiguaswill they be finished by Friday? — I shouldn't think soyo diría que debe tener más de 80she's a little upset — I should think she is, poor thing¿terminarán antes del viernes? — no creo or no me pareceestá un poco disgustada — y es lógico, pobrecitaExample sentences3.3 (expressing indignation) See examples: he said he was sorry — I should think so too!
she won't be asking us for any money — I should think not!pidió perdón — ¡faltaría más! or ¡era lo menos que podía hacer!no nos va a pedir dinero — ¡faltaría más! or ¡sería el colmo!Example sentences
- In the final analysis, we should hope that fear of global warming will subside.
- I should imagine the Elliotts feel the same way.
- It's not overly complicated, which would appeal to the majority I should imagine.
- A friend suggested if I were an American, I should pass the US Foreign Service exam.
- I signed a ‘living will’, making it clear that, if I were terminally ill, I should receive no more than palliative care.
- 4 (subjunctive use) (with all persons) it is essential that you should be presentit's natural that he should want to go with heres indispensable que estés presenteI'm sorry he should see it like thates natural or lógico que quiera ir con ellaif you should happen to pass a bookshop …siento que él lo vea de esa manerasi pasaras or si llegaras a pasar por una librería …Example sentences
- You would think that people with this distressing condition should not be in jail at all.
- He believed there should be a stamp duty or tax on a second seller of rezoned land.
- One of the features of the new mood is that religion should be effective in the marketplace.
- If he feels that strongly about the current situation should he not be campaigning for someone else?
- Perhaps other people in my situation should not disregard this opportunity if offered.
- Huntley said that should such a situation arise, he would report it to a senior member of staff.
- 5 5.1 (expressing amused surprise) See examples: and who should turn up but her ex-husband!what should she come out with at the critical moment but … ?¿y quién te parece que apareció? ¡su exmarido!5.2 (in exclamations) [ironic]he said she drinks too much — he should talk!¿y no va y en el momento crítico sale con que … ?they should complain! I was waiting twice as long as themdijo que ella bebe demasiado — ¡mira quién habla!¡yo sí que me puedo quejar, que estuve esperando el doble que ellos!Example sentences
- I snuck downstairs into the luxurious media headquarters, and who should I see but the two girls from that now-famous beer commercial.
- Our photographer was dispatched to get a picture of the distressed bird lover, but on the way back, what should he see but 30 ducks waddling towards him.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.