Translation of shout in Spanish:
- grito (masculine) to give a shout of joy/pain dar* un grito de alegría/dolor give me a shout when you're ready [colloquial/familiar] avísame cuando estés listo, pégame un grito cuando estés listo [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences
- She gave out a strong shout, much louder than she intended to.
- The superior officer clapped his hands and called for attention with a loud shout, which echoed throughout the hold.
- Loud shouts, yells, and laughs ran from the tavern and out onto the street, disturbing the town's late night silence.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- gritar there's no need to shout no hace falta que grites don't all shout out at once no griten todos a la vez to shout
atsb gritarle aalgn don't shout at me ¡no me grites! to shout tosb gritarle aalgn he shouted to her to come back le gritó que volviese to shout forsb llamar a algn a gritos to shout forsth pedir* algo a gritos to shout for help pedir* auxilio a gritos to shout for joy gritar de alegría how was your weekend? — oh, nothing to shout about ¿qué tal el fin de semana? — bah, nada especial or nada del otro mundo
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- gritar go away! he shouted —¡váyanse!— gritó I shouted (out) a warning les ( or le etc) grité advirtiéndoles ( or advirtiéndole etc) to shout abuse at sb insultar a algn a gritos
shout downverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento hacer* callar a gritos
shout out verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento [answer] gritar, dar* a gritos they walked along shouting out slogans caminaban gritando or coreando consignas he shouted out his displeasure manifestó a gritos su descontento 1.1verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio dar* or pegar* un grito
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.