- 1 (slide) [Auto] patinazo (m), derrape (m), derrapaje (m), patinada (f) (AmL) to go into a skid patinar, derrapar (before n) skid marks marcas (fpl) or huellas (fpl) de un patinazoMore example sentences
- The noise startled him, and he slid into a side skid.
- An undignified skid and a few slides later found him at the entrance to the parlor, where the voices had retreated to.
- Steer control induces a resistance in the steering, encouraging the driver to steer away from the resistance and so, out of the skid or slide.
- 2 (for moving goods) rastra (f) to be on the skids [colloquial/familiar] ir* cuesta abajo to hit the skids empezar* a ir cuesta abajo to put the skids under sb hacerle* or (Esp) ponerle* la zancadilla a algn, (a)serrucharle el piso a algn (CS) that put the skids under our proposals eso dio al traste con nuestras propuestasMore example sentences
- Unmarked crates, heavy machinery, and piles upon piles of empty skids filled the most of it.
- He constructed very long, rough wooden skids which he assembled into semi-geometric structures.
- The lumber coming off the saw is bundled and tagged and stacked on a skid.
- 4 (brake) freno (m)
- [car/plane/wheels] patinar, derrapar; [person] resbalarse; [object] deslizarse* the car skidded on the ice el coche patinó or derrapó en el hielo we skidded off the road/into a tree patinamos or derrapamos y nos salimos de la carretera/y chocamos contra un árbol the vehicle skidded to a halt el vehículo se detuvo tras dar un patinazo I skidded across the kitchen floor (me) resbalé y me fui de un lado al otro de la cocinaMore example sentences
More example sentences
- His bike skidded sideways and hit the road divider.
- It is understood that the vehicle skidded after avoiding a car involved in another accident, mounted the verge and became impaled on a pole projecting from a crash barrier.
- The bike was skidding sideways, and it slammed into the branch.
- Her bare feet skidded and slid over the dirt, sandals long since broken in the fight.
- I skidded, slipped, cursed, crashed, and generally regressed one full level in ability.
- Begin your powder turn and then instead of hitting your edges hard to carve a turn, stand up on two feet and let your skis slide or skid diagonally across the fall line.