Translation of skid in Spanish:
- 1 (slide) (Cars) to go into a skidExample sentences
- The noise startled him, and he slid into a side skid.
- An undignified skid and a few slides later found him at the entrance to the parlor, where the voices had retreated to.
- Steer control induces a resistance in the steering, encouraging the driver to steer away from the resistance and so, out of the skid or slide.
- 2 (for moving goods) to be on the skids [colloquial] to hit the skidsempezar a ir cuesta abajoto put the skids under somebodyhacerle or (Spain) ponerle la zancadilla a alguienthat put the skids under our proposals
(a)serrucharle el piso a alguien (Southern Cone)eso dio al traste con nuestras propuestasExample sentences
- Unmarked crates, heavy machinery, and piles upon piles of empty skids filled the most of it.
- He constructed very long, rough wooden skids which he assembled into semi-geometric structures.
- The lumber coming off the saw is bundled and tagged and stacked on a skid.
intransitive verb -dd-
resbalarse(object)the car skidded on the ice
deslizarseel coche patinó or derrapó en el hielowe skidded off the road/into a treepatinamos or derrapamos y nos salimos de la carretera/y chocamos contra un árbolthe vehicle skidded to a haltel vehículo se detuvo tras dar un patinazoI skidded across the kitchen floor(me) resbalé y me fui de un lado al otro de la cocinaExample sentences
- His bike skidded sideways and hit the road divider.
- It is understood that the vehicle skidded after avoiding a car involved in another accident, mounted the verge and became impaled on a pole projecting from a crash barrier.
- The bike was skidding sideways, and it slammed into the branch.
- Her bare feet skidded and slid over the dirt, sandals long since broken in the fight.
- I skidded, slipped, cursed, crashed, and generally regressed one full level in ability.
- Begin your powder turn and then instead of hitting your edges hard to carve a turn, stand up on two feet and let your skis slide or skid diagonally across the fall line.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.