Translation of slam in Spanish:
transitive verb -mm-
- 1 (close violently) to slam the doordar un portazoto slam the door shutcerrar la puerta de un portazoto slam the window shutcerrar la ventana de un golpeshe slammed the door in my faceme dio con la puerta en las naricesExample sentences
- The plane's propeller began to whirl loudly, and Cory slammed the door shut.
- When I finally did open it, I bolted inside and slammed the door shut behind myself.
- I glared at him not bothering to dignify that with a response, I walked out into the street slamming the door shut behind me.
- 2 (put with force) she slammed the book down on the tabletiró el libro sobre la mesahe slammed his fist through the dooratravesó la puerta de un puñetazohe slammed the ball into the net(in soccer etc) marcó de un trallazo(in tennis etc) incrustó la pelota en la redto slam on the brakespegar un frenazoExample sentences
- He pushed back slamming her into the wall she was chained to.
- The force from the explosion slammed Christin against the opposite wall hard.
- Dracainya was hit by an invisible force that slammed her into the wall behind her, cracking the stone.
- 3 (criticize) [colloquial]atacar violentamenteExample sentences
- My first book, Premier Roman, was published when I was 23 and slammed by the critics.
- Critics have slammed the BBC for even considering the idea of running adverts on its Web site.
- His critics have slammed him for exaggerating racial and political issues confronting the city.
intransitive verb -mm-
cerrarse de un portazo or de golpe(window)
cerrarse de golpeExample sentences
- The door slammed and the car screeched off at high speed.
- As Tristan packs up his briefcase and prepares to leave the empty club for the night, he's surprised to hear the sound of a car door slamming outside.
- She heard yelling and a car door slamming and screeching off.
- 1 (sound) (no plural) the door shut with a slam she closed the book with a slamExample sentences
- The door shut with an echoing slam, so loud in the unusual silence.
- With a loud slam, the door was tightly shut, and darkness once again returned to the room.
- It was at that precise moment that Madison casually strolled in, pulling the heavy barn door shut with a loud slam.
- 2 countable (in bridge)slam (masculine)Example sentences
- The special combinations that beat twos are called slams.
- In the very first board of the final, she scored a ‘white slam century’ - all coins polished off in a single take.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.