- 1 (Zoology)Example sentences
- Slugs and snails are mainly nocturnal, and the sun's heat can be fatal to slugs and to all mollusc eggs, so cultivate the soil thoroughly to bring them to the surface.
- Centipedes also eat slugs and smaller insect pests.
- Twenty slugs were filmed while receiving 10 swim-eliciting tail stimuli at a 2 min inter-trial interval.
- 2 2.1 (bullet)Example sentences2.2 (for slot machine) (American English)
- Three slugs ripped through the space Karl had just vacated.
- Speaking of feminism, I am no feminist but I do like and respect women so I would have a strong urge to put a .50 calibre slug through the guy in this picture.
- One shot I missed clear, probably because my abilities were off, but one slug removed his left ear and a clump of his hair, yet the third bullet struck his right shoulder and caused him drop back to the floor.
- 3 (drink) [colloquial]Example sentences
- Hearty Aussie reds like the latter go happily in a sangria-style mix - slip a couple of orange slices into each glass and add a whoosh of soda water, a clunk of ice-cubes and a slug of brandy if it's raining.
- Makes around 4 litres of cordial (which you can kick up a notch with a splash of soda water and a slug of your favourite gin).
- The last straw comes when three old Russian ladies snub my invitation to join our flotilla, dog-paddling away as if no one had ever offered them a slug of beer through a ten-foot hose.
transitive verb -gg-
- pegarle un tortazo a [colloquial]darle un mamporro a [colloquial]to slug it outagarrarse a tortazos [colloquial]Example sentences
- There they gather short, or editor-shortened, letters in which correspondents with opposing views slug away at each other on a topic selected by the editor.
- The man gave Mr. Love one huge slug in the face just as Tommy and Joe, the security guards, hurried up the stairs, Tommy huffing frantically.
- It wasn't a ladylike slap, it was an all-out, full-fisted slug to the jaw that could have broken his nose if she had been aiming for it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.