Translation of small in Spanish:
adjective -er, -est
- 1 1.1 (in size)chico (esp Latin America)a small dolluna muñeca pequeña or (esp Latin America) chicauna muñequitacut it up smallcórtalo en trocitos (pequeños)he's got very small feet indeedtiene los pies pequeñísimos or (esp Latin America) muy chiquitosshe's got a small waisttiene una cintura muy estrechashe's small for her agees muy chiquita or (Spain) está muy pequeña para su edadsmall lettersletras (feminine plural) minúsculashe's a conservative with a small 'c'es de ideas conservadoras en el sentido amplio de la palabrasmall capitals (Printing)versalitas (feminine plural)the smallest room [euphemistic]el excusado [euphemistic]the small screenla pantalla chica (Latin America)to be small beer o (American English also)small potatoesfor him $2,000 is small potatoespara él 2.000 dólares no son nada or son poca cosawe're small beer in the eyes of the bossespara los jefes somos poca cosa or no somos nadieExample sentences1.2 (in number, amount, value)
(family)a small quantity
- Its high performance in a small case size also means that the costs can be reduced by using fewer or smaller capacitors.
- The precision of variance components is reduced when sample size is small.
- Staff revealed that four ovens were situated on the ground floor, two electric and two gas, each the same size as a small car.
chico (esp Latin America)una pequeña cantidadhe's a small eatercome pocothat is due in no small measure to his generous support
no es de mucho comereso se debe en gran medida a su generoso apoyothat was no small achievement/successese fue un logro/éxito considerableExample sentences1.3 (not much) they have small chance/hope of succeeding
tienen pocas probabilidades/esperanzas de lograrloI hear you've passed — yes, small thanks to youveo que has aprobado — no será gracias a tismall wonder!no es de extrañar
- Both areas were receiving small amounts of money over the years but little progress was being made.
- Prior to the euro, some countries used notes for quite small amounts of money.
- It is making me ridiculously happy, so it must have been worth the small amount of money I spent.
no me extraña
- 2 (in scale) the small investor/businessmanel pequeño inversionista/empresarioExample sentences
- The study showed that small business owners and managers felt they came up with seven good ideas a month.
- It is appealing for other small business owners to pay for booklets for their local school.
- He said the experience gave him a new appreciation for small business owners.
- 3 3.1 (unimportant, trivial)(mistake/problem)there are still a few small points to be cleared up
de poca importanciatodavía quedan algunos puntos de poca importancia por aclararExample sentences3.2 (humble, modest) they started in a small way
empezaron de forma muy modestaI'd like to help in some small wayme gustaría ayudar de alguna manerastart exercising in a small wayempiece a hacer ejercicio poco a pocoto feel smallsentirse insignificantesentirse poca cosa [colloquial]I won't do it again, he said in a small voice—no lo volveré a hacer— dijo en un hilo de voz
- The flowers seem small and insignificant during the day but at twilight they glow in the fading light and look beautiful.
- He was small and insignificant but had a firearm trained on my navel.
- The peaks of Glen Shiel loomed over and made me feel deliciously small and insignificant.
adverb -er, -est
- (of size) she writes so smallescribe tan pequeñito or (esp Latin America) chiquitotiene la letra tan menudathe virtue of thinking smallla ventaja de no pensar a lo grandestart smallempieza por poco or por cosas pequeñasExample sentences
- It started out small and kept on expanding until it became one of the largest universities in the region.
- The US may grumble that Europe talks big and acts small, but that is pretty much what Washington wants.
- 1the small of the back(región baja de la espalda, que corresponde al segmento dorsal de la columna vertebral)
- 2also: smalls plural(British English) [colloquial] [dated]paños (masculine plural) menores [humorous]Example sentences
- Do we know if secreted about his smalls he has a pair of boxer shorts in either the ancient or red tartan of his venerable clanspersons?
- Most retail philistines won't quite see what all the fuss is about; smalls are smalls, they murmur, no matter where they are sold.
- If I could now ask you to drop your trousers and smalls…
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.