- 1.1 (full extent — of hand) palmo (masculine); (— of wing) envergadura (feminine); (— of bridge, arch) luz (feminine)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (part of bridge) arco (masculine)
- Powerful wings spread a span of twenty feet and Jack had to step back to avoid being hit.
- Immense wings spread to more than the span of 2 metres in total length.
- The wings of the Tupolev-designed plane had a span of more than sixty metres, the same as a Boeing 747's.
Example sentences1.3 (of time) lapso (masculine), espacio (masculine), período (masculine)
- He held out an arm to show how the end of the sleeve hung two handspans below his knuckles.
- A good rule of thumb when buying or constructing a flight cage for large parrots is that the width should be twice the wingspan, plus a handspan.
- Lang's handspan covers 12 notes on the piano keyboard.
Example sentences1.4 (range) at this age children have a short attention span a esta edad los niños no pueden mantener la atención por períodos prolongados the whole span of American history la historia americana en toda su extensión life span
- Cast glass channels in extruded aluminum flames can be installed for long or tall spans without added supports.
- Next year will see the start of the five-year $3billion replacement of the eastern span of the Bay Bridge.
- In the pre-industrial age, the structural form that was used for the widest spans was the masonry vault or dome.
- I didn't have an answer because I didn't know myself and thankfully her concentration span was lacking at that point.
- I silently thanked my short concentration span for tuning in for the first few minutes at least.
- These are people who've packed seemingly 10 lifetimes into one normal span.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-nn-)
- 1.1 (extend over) abarcar* a career that spanned 60 years una carrera que abarcó 60 años or que se extendió a lo largo de 60 años a story spanning four generations una historia que transcurre a lo largo de cuatro generaciones or que abarca cuatro generaciones 1.2 (cross) the bridge that spans the Tagus el puente que se extiende sobre el Tajo or que cruza el Tajo to span a river with a bridge tender* un puente sobre un río