- 1.1 (full extent — of hand)(— of wing)
envergadura (feminine)(— of bridge, arch)
luz (feminine)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (part of bridge)
- Powerful wings spread a span of twenty feet and Jack had to step back to avoid being hit.
- Immense wings spread to more than the span of 2 metres in total length.
- The wings of the Tupolev-designed plane had a span of more than sixty metres, the same as a Boeing 747's.
Example sentences1.3 (of time)
- He held out an arm to show how the end of the sleeve hung two handspans below his knuckles.
- A good rule of thumb when buying or constructing a flight cage for large parrots is that the width should be twice the wingspan, plus a handspan.
- Lang's handspan covers 12 notes on the piano keyboard.
Example sentences1.4 (range) at this age children have a short attention span
- Cast glass channels in extruded aluminum flames can be installed for long or tall spans without added supports.
- Next year will see the start of the five-year $3billion replacement of the eastern span of the Bay Bridge.
- In the pre-industrial age, the structural form that was used for the widest spans was the masonry vault or dome.
a esta edad los niños no pueden mantener la atención por períodos prolongadosthe whole span of American historyla historia americana en toda su extensión→ life span
- I didn't have an answer because I didn't know myself and thankfully her concentration span was lacking at that point.
- I silently thanked my short concentration span for tuning in for the first few minutes at least.
- These are people who've packed seemingly 10 lifetimes into one normal span.
transitive verb -nn-
- 1.1 (extend over) a career that spanned 60 yearsuna carrera que abarcó 60 años or que se extendió a lo largo de 60 añosa story spanning four generationsuna historia que transcurre a lo largo de cuatro generaciones or que abarca cuatro generaciones1.2 (cross) the bridge that spans the Tagusel puente que se extiende sobre el Tajo or que cruza el Tajoto span a river with a bridgetender un puente sobre un ríoExample sentences
- We passed the occasional kamikaze truck driver hurtling down the narrow mountain roads; and forded green rivers that were spanned by metal bridges.
- The first branch was spanned with a bridge and the second with a ford.
- The path turned to cross a small stone bridge spanning a stream.