Translation of splash in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 c and u (spray) salpicadura (feminine) to make a splash (make an impression) producir* or causar un revuelo (lit: in liquid) salpicar* 1.2 countable/numerable (sound) it fell into the lake with a loud splash cayó ruidosamente al lago, cayó al lago con un sonoro plaf [colloquial/familiar] we heard a splash oímos el ruido de algo al caer al agua splash! he fell in ¡plaf! or ¡zas! se cayó al aguaExample sentences1.3 (paddle, swim) (no plural/sin plural) chapuzón (masculine) we had a quick splash (around) in the sea nos dimos un chapuzón en el mar
- I went back to reading my book until I was interrupted about ten minutes later by the sound of some enormous splashes.
- He had not taken much notice until he heard a splash and the sound of panic-stricken voices.
- Valos slowly opened his eyes as he heard the sound of a splash.
- A few splashes of water, and I'm feeling a lot better.
- He leaned to listen to her splashes, but the water was still.
- The horses were cantering lightly, making small splashes of water around their hooves.
- 2 2.1 (small quantity) (no plural/sin plural) a splash un poco just a splash of orange juice in the vodka un poco or un chorrito de zumo de naranja en el vodka a splash of paint and it'll be as good as new con un poco de pintura quedará como nuevo 2.2 countable/numerable (mark, patch) salpicadura (feminine), mancha (feminine), manchón (masculine)Example sentences
- As they walked down the street, they heard a yell, which was followed by a splash of some liquid.
- Add corn, reserved dill and a splash of reserved braising liquid and heat through.
- The dumplings wade in a thick peanut mixture with a splash of soy sauce and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Darker colours tend to be more appropriate at work although there is no harm in adding a splash of brighter colour with accessories.
- Add to this a splash of bright colour and the result is nothing short of arresting.
- For a splash of bright colour it is hard to beat marigolds, Calendula officialis.
- 3 countable/numerable [Journalism/Periodismo] they've done a front-page splash on it lo han puesto a toda plana en la primera páginaExample sentences
- For nearly 15 years the media has contributed screaming headlines and front page splashes as well as serious studies.
- My front-page splash became a three-inch brief on the inside - albeit one that took hours to report.
- Of course, the hard but essential task now will be to maintain the sense of priority and importance about indigenous issues once the front page splashes die away again.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (with liquid) salpicar* stop splashing me! ¡no me salpiques! to splash sth
on/ oversth/sb salpicar* algo dealgo he splashed acid on my clothes me salpicó la ropa de or con ácido I had mud splashed all over me by a passing car un coche que pasó me salpicó toda de barro he splashed cologne on his face se echó colonia en la cara to splash sth/sb withsth salpicar* algo/a algn dealgo the car was splashed with mud el coche estaba salpicado de barro careful you don't splash yourself with oil ten cuidado, no vayas a salpicarte de aceite
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
splash around(in British English also/en inglés británico también) splash about verb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio 1.1 (spend freely) [money] derrochar, despilfarrar, tirar 1.2 (publicize) divulgar*, hacer* público 1.3splash 3 2
splash downverb + adverb/verbo + adverbio amarizar*, amerizar*
splash out(British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar] verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio darse* un lujo to splash out
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Bonoloto is a Spanish state lottery established in 1988. The others are the Lotería Nacional and the Lotería Primitiva. As with the Lotería Primitiva six numbers are marked on a ticket showing forty-nine numbers and win the main prize if all the numbers come up in the draw.