Translation of spot in Spanish:
- 1 countable 1.1 (dot)(on animal's skin) mancha (feminine)a blue tie with white spotsuna corbata azul a or con lunares blancos ( or con motas blancas etc. )I keep seeing spots before my eyesveo como manchasto knock spots off something/somebody [colloquial]darle cien or cien mil vueltas a algo/alguien [colloquial]darle sopas con honda(s) a algo/alguien (Spain) [colloquial]Example sentences1.2 (blemish, stain) spots of ink
manchas de tintaa reputation without spot or stain [literary]una reputación impecableuna reputación sin tacha [literary]Example sentences1.3 (pimple) (British)
- Their fur, feathers and skins, wonderfully textured and coloured, the symmetry of the patterns they make and the exquisite arrays of stripes and spots are there to be emulated.
- These spots have raised centers that may develop on either surface of the leaf but are more common on the lower surface.
- Affected stems often have reddish-brown spots or streaks.
pepa (feminine) (Venezuela) [colloquial]she broke out or came out in spotsle salieron granos1.4also: beauty spot
- An infestation can sometimes be recognized by blood stains and dark spots of excreta.
- Here ink spots clearly are ink spots, and Kalina employs them in a carefree punctuation that sets up a joyful rhythm across the sheet.
- In his nervousness, he cut himself, standing back and watching the blood trickle down his cheek; a small spot settling on the collar of his shirt.
- 2 2.1 countable (location, place) a delightful spot by the riverun lugar or un sitio precioso a orillas del ríoextra police were rushed to the spotrefuerzos policiales fueron enviados con urgencia al lugar de los disturbios ( or del siniestro etc. )don't move from that spot until I get backno te muevas de ahí hasta que vuelvaon the spotfiremen were quickly on the spotlos bomberos se presentaron sin demora en el lugar del siniestroand now a report from our woman on the spoty ahora un informe de nuestra enviada especial (desde el lugar de los hechos)he had to decide on the spottuvo que decidir en ese mismo momentoshe was fired on the spotla despidieron en el actothey were killed on the spotlos mataron allí mismoon-the-spot fine(multa que se paga en el acto)to be rooted to the spotquedarse clavado en el sitio or paralizadoExample sentences2.2 (difficult situation) in a (tight) spot
en apuroswe're in a bit of a spot here
- He crawled, looking for a secluded spot like the Tall Soldier had.
- It's a wonder how all of this art, architecture and creativity ended up in such a secluded spot.
- Garbled details would be passed on by word of mouth and soon convoys of hatchbacks would head out for sunrise sessions in motorway service stations and picnic spots.
en un lío
en un aprietoestamos metidos en un apuro or lío or aprietoto help somebody out of a tight spotsacar a alguien de un apuro or aprietoto put somebody on the spotponer a alguien en un apuro or aprieto
- 3 countable (of character, personality) science is my weak spotlas ciencias son mi punto débil or no son mi fuerteyou've touched a rather sore spot therehas puesto el dedo en la llagato have a soft spot for somebody/something [colloquial]tener debilidad por alguien/algoto hit the spot (esp US)caer muy bien
- 4 4.1 (drop)Example sentences4.2 (small amount) (British) [colloquial] (no plural) do you fancy a spot of supper?
¿quieres cenar algo?we had a spot of trouble with the cartuvimos un problemita or un pequeño contratiempo con el cochethe garden could do with a spot of rainal jardín le vendría bien que lloviera un poco
- Davis brings a beautifully written character to life without a spot of bother, and she makes a wonderful addition to the Spaced cast.
- Treating me to a spot of food and a fresh coffee in the garden, he started to explain why you should choose to use your art to make political statements.
- It is not simply schoolchildren who benefit from a spot of Mozart.
- 5 countable (Radio, Television) 5.1 (time) a weekly spot on TVun espacio semanal en televisióna commercial spotun spot publicitario5.2 (part) he had a guest spot in the program
una cuña publicitaria
un anuncioapareció como invitado en el programaExample sentences
- Finally, the one bright spot amongst the added features is a five-minute excerpt from the boys' appearance at the 1997 Cable Ace Awards.
- About the only bright spot is the colorful feature starring Lewis Van Dercar.
- One bright spot is simply that hard-core rap has knocked out such unmusical predecessors as heavy metal and punk.
- 6 countable (position, job) (US)Example sentences
- The audio archives section contains radio spots and full songs related to the film.
- On the other side are the easily deluded, the ones who believe that a hit single or a television spot circumvents money to actually purchase happiness.
- Aardman has subsequently worked on a number of advertisements, the most distinctive of which are probably the Lurpak spots featuring a character made of butter named Douglas.
transitive verb present participle spotting past tense, past participle spotted
descubrir(bargain)he finally spotted her in the crowd
encontraral final la vio or la divisó or (Latin America also) la ubicó entre el gentíohe's good at spotting talentsabe reconocer talento donde lo haysee if you can spot the differencea ver si te das cuenta de cuál es la diferenciayou didn't spot half the mistakesdejaste pasar or no descubriste más de la mitad de las faltashe always spots the winnersiempre adivina quién/cuál va a ganarExample sentences
- Late that day one of the search crews spotted Doug's body in such rugged terrain they were unable to get to it before dark.
- I also spotted a fair amount of grain in the transfer.
- I like spotting the eel, who is very shy and hides under rocks.
intransitive verb present participle spotting past tense, past participle spotted
impersonal verb present participle spotting past tense, past participle spotted
- (market/price)spot cash paid for your car
spot invariable adjectivedinero al contado y en el acto por su coche
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.