- 1.1 countable (tree)Example sentences1.2 uncountable (wood)
- The best trees to plant with wildlife in mind are cherry and mulberry for their fruits, pines and spruces for their seed-bearing cones and deciduous trees that vary in size and density.
- This nest is usually in a spruce or other conifer and may be 4'40 feet up.
- ‘I wanted my husband to plant a big spruce so that at Christmas I could decorate it with lights,’ she says.
adjective sprucer, sprucest
- she was looking very spruceestaba muy arreglada or [humorous] peripuestaExample sentences
- In outward appearance, he was a cherubically round man, about 45, in a spruce pinstripe suit and a new blue tie.
- To turn up at County Hall looking dapper and spruce would have been to strike a false, jarring note of misplaced optimism.
- The place has also recently been restored and so is looking quite spruce.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.