- 1 1.1 (crush)(package/fruit/insect)his hat got squashed (flat)
apachurrar (Central America) (Andes) [colloquial]
espichar (Colombia)se le aplastó el sombrero1.2 (squeeze)meter (apretando)we can squash one more into the backpodemos meter a uno más atráswe were all squashed (up) against the wallestábamos todos apiñados or apretujados contra la paredExample sentences
- We now have fresh bread every breakfast, and it is not squashed flat in the shopping trolley.
- I recycle as much of my household waste as possible, kitchen waste is composted, cans are squashed flat after removing bases, drink cans, newspapers and all other clean wastepaper placed in the relevant bins.
- You are requested to wash and squash containers before putting them in the recycling bins.
- 2 (suppress, silence) [colloquial](protests/rumors)he needs to be squashed now and then
acallarde vez en cuando hay que bajarle los humosshe squashed Tom's arguments flatechó por tierra los argumentos de TomExample sentences
- When she sends Guy off to war at the end of the first act, she projects so much youthful innocence and idealism that there's no way her happiness isn't going to be squashed by circumstance.
- The bubbly romantic feelings Delaney was having were quickly squashed as she pulled out her palm pilot again and stared at Tanya's name.
- Maya's excitement over their dinner guest wouldn't be squashed.
- His mother had immediately squashed that idea.
- I squashed the idea as soon as it crossed my mind.
- One benefit of the committee is that since ideas become public immediately, an individual idea can't be squashed by only one manager.
- As soon as someone tries to squash me into a position of submission I will react and deal with any consequences later.
- She deserves to be squashed like everyone's squashed me.
- She needled him with such venom from behind her thick lenses that Seb was visibly squashed.
- 1 (crush) (no plural) it was quite a squash fitting everybody inhubo que apretarse or apretujarse mucho para que todos cupieranit was a terrible squash on the trainíbamos ( or iban etc) terriblemente apretados or apretujados en el tren
- countable or uncountable (Botany, Cookery)(nombre genérico de varios tipos de calabaza, zapallo, cidra etc)Example sentences
- There's much more beta carotene in traditional crops, from leafy green vegetables to squashes, melons and mangoes.
- Peel the squash then cut the flesh into chunks.
- Many parents were unsure of how to prepare some of the fresh vegetables, such as eggplant and some squashes.
- Once soil temperatures reach 60 degrees, you can plant corn, beans, squash and cucumbers.
- Both powdery mildew and downy mildew often infect squash plants as autumn nights grow cooler and dew keeps the foliage moist through the night.
- Plant sweet corn in each of the first three weeks of June for multiple crops, and plant squash and cantaloupes up to June 20.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.