Translation of strap in Spanish:
- 1.1 (band — of leather, canvas)(— for razor)shoe strapsuavizador (masculine)tira (feminine) or tirita (feminine) del zapatoExample sentences1.2
also: shoulder strap1.3 (punishment) (British English) to give somebody the strapdarle a alguien con la correa
- Over his battle tunic went the clean white leather belts and honest straps.
- Combined with a fetching ensemble of white leather belts and straps, the effect is arresting.
- It had school satchel style leather straps and buckles instead of Velcro or twist fasteners.
transitive verb -pp-
- 1.1 (tie)to strap oneself inatar or sujetar con una correaamarrar con una correa (Latin America except River Plate area)I strapped up my trunkponerse or abrocharse el cinturón de seguridad1.2le puse la correa al baúl(British English) (Medicine)she strapped (up) my ankleme vendó el tobilloExample sentences
- On the bench, Claudio Reyna's left leg is all strapped up.
- His hand was strapped up and he played on, such is the mentality in rugby league, and it was only afterwards that an X-ray revealed he had broken the bone.
- After liposuction, the treated area will be firmly strapped with bandages or elasticated tape.
- The upper level contained gear, strapped, buckled and secured for the flight, every inch of space utilized for the transport.
- If you fancy carrying Labradors and green wellies in the back of this car, make sure they are securely strapped in.
- The guns and knives were securely strapped to the many compartments of the bag assuring his own safety.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.