Translation of strong in Spanish:
adjective strongerPronunciation: /ˈstrɔːŋɡər/, /ˈstrɒŋɡə(r)/, strongestPronunciation: /ˈstrɔːŋɡəst/, /ˈstrɒŋɡɪst/
- 1 1.1 (physically powerful)(person/arm)
fuerte(eyesight)to have strong nerves to be strong (person)
buenoser fuerte or fornido(for lifting things etc) tener fuerzaI can't lift it, I'm not strong enoughno puedo levantarlo, no tengo bastante fuerzato have a strong stomachtener mucho estómago(lit) poder comer de todoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (healthy, sound)
- Polar bears have a heavy stout body with strong muscular legs and well-developed neck muscles.
- Get these out of the way while you're fresh and strong enough to use heavy weight.
- The man facing them was taller than both by a few inches, and had strong, brawny arms.
(constitution)you mustn't get up till you're stronger
- Despite being paralysed from the neck down after a car accident, Clive was a strong and independent character, she said.
- A man possessed of a strong independent spirit, he lived on his own in Derreens until his early nineties.
- The new Bollywood stars are role models for them, strong, independent and bold.
robustono te levantes hasta que no estés más fuerteshe's never been very strongExample sentences1.3 (firm)
- Hmm, you've got to have a pretty strong constitution to whack down two uncooked eggs as Mr Hogg suggests.
- And, frankly that would have any man with a strong constitution running for The Other Bus.
- To explore the hole you needed a very long ladder and a strong constitution: it stank and was crawling with rats.
fuerte(leadership)you must be strong and resist temptation
firmetienes que ser fuerte y resistir la tentaciónExample sentences
- Fear is a powerful motivator, and it takes strong ethics to resist the temptation to abuse it.
- He said attitudinal change among the people is a strong weapon to defeat the cult of violence.
- I resisted the strong temptation to tell him to go jump off a cliff, and kept quiet.
- 2 2.1 (solid) the chair's not strong enough to take your weightla silla no va a aguantar tu pesothe strong ties that bind our two countrieslos fuertes lazos que unen nuestros dos paísesExample sentences2.2 (powerful)
(currency)she had strong reasons not to do it
- By 1216 the castle was sufficiently strong to withstand a siege by forces opposed to King John.
- Basically any pumpkin that is strong enough to withstand sharp carving tools can be used for making designs.
- You are entitled to goods which are not faulty and are strong enough to withstand normal use for a reasonable period of time.
fuertetenía poderosas razones para no hacerlo2.3 (violent)(current/wind)a strong breeze was blowing
fuertesoplaba una brisa fuerteExample sentences
- He slowly backed out of the stream before the rush became too strong to resist.
- We've got a pretty strong south wind.
- Although there was a very strong wind we managed a swim in the Atlantic.
- 3 3.1 (deeply held, committed)(views/beliefs/principles)
firme(support)we have strong reservations about this candidate
firmetenemos grandes dudas acerca de este candidatoI'm a strong believer in disciplinecreo firmemente en la disciplina
soy un gran partidario de la disciplinaExample sentences3.2 (forceful)
(protest)he protested in the strongest possible terms
- I look forward to establishing a strong working relationship with you and to continue representing your company.
- They have strong beliefs, but strong beliefs firmly anchored in the real and the achievable.
- This Institute has already established a strong track record in the research arena.
enérgicoprotestó de la manera más enérgicaI sent him a strong letterle mandé una carta bastante durashe condemned the action in strong languagecondenó la acción enérgicamente or con palabras muy durasshe made out a strong case for reformpresentó la necesidad de una reforma de manera muy convincenteExample sentences
- Does that argument reveal a strong case for electoral reform in Canada?
- The evidence suggests that a strong case can be made for a planned strategy using militia.
- If the case is as strong as it sounds, then it may settle on favorable terms to the white plaintiffs.
- Apart from the sexually explicit scenes, the language is very strong.
- Their language is so strong, we've got to redefine, we've gotta take back words.
- The language is strong beyond maximum Trebor strength yet never jars; the performances even stronger.
- 4 (definite) 4.1(tendency/resemblance)
marcado(candidate)she has a strong foreign accent
con muchas or buenas posibilidadestiene un fuerte or marcado acento extranjerohe has a strong chance of being promotedtiene muchas or buenas posibilidades de que lo asciendanExample sentences4.2
- Her crunch has the ability to sense strong emotion and she could track me here.
- In the minds of Chinese, this history inspires a strong sense of indignation.
- Her strong sense of duty called to mind her grandfather George V and Queen Victoria.
- The male with the wheat colored hair and strong hawk like feature came forward, behind Mint, surprising her.
- This collection as usual, featured lots of strong colors and a variety of shapes.
- She heard Vasic's voice, soft yet strong enough to cut through the chatter.
- 5 (good)(team)
fuerte(cast)she gave a strong performance as Ophelia
sólidosu interpretación de Ofelia fue muy convincentetact is not one of her strong pointsel tacto no es su punto fuertegeography is my strongest subjectgeografía es la asignatura en la que estoy más fuerteshe's a strong swimmer
geografía es mi mejor asignaturaes una buena nadadorato be strong on somethingthis writer is particularly strong on characterizationel fuerte de este escritor es la caracterizaciónshe's strong on French historysu fuerte es la historia francesathe report is strong on speculation and weak on factel informe tiene mucho de conjetura y pocos datos concretosExample sentences
- Thresher sharks can grow up to 20 ft and are strong swimmers who can completely vault out of water.
- The spokesman explained that, if caught in a rip tide, strong swimmers should swim for shore at a 45 angle to the current.
- Myra's grief was tinged with guilt that she, the strong swimmer who could have saved him, should have been there with him that day.
- 6 6.1 (concentrated)(shadow)
bien definido or perfilado(beer/painkiller)
fuerte(solution)don't touch strong drink
concentradono pruebe las bebidas fuertesExample sentences6.2 (of high intensity)
(lens)you need stronger glasses
- To drink strong liquor is also useful since nights get rather cold on the grasslands.
- The jury heard how Hart had drunk strong coffee repeatedly as he drove, had the driver's window wound fully down and the car radio on.
- Also on display was his lager and strong ale, so we gave it a quality control test, to make sure that they still tasted good.
poderosonecesita unas gafas or (esp (Latin America) ) unos lentes con más aumentoExample sentences6.3 (pungent)
- Bright lights, especially flashing lights, and strong smells, can also bring on an attack.
- Sometimes we had to break down doors, and that was hard for my guys who are going from strong sunlight into interiors that could be hostile.
- Throughout the dream, I am overwhelmed by a strong smell of dampness.
fuerteExample sentences6.4 (unacceptable) that's a bit strong, isn't it? [colloquial] [dated]
eso es un poco fuerte, ¿no?this film is strong meatesta película es bastante subida de tono
- The chicken tasted very fresh and the sauce was delicious with a strong mustard flavour.
- It proved fresh and filling with a strong tomato flavour and far too much pasta for a mere mortal to consume in one session.
- It had a dark orange sauce with a strong coconut flavour that was really quite enticing.
- 7 (in number) (no comparative) an army ten thousand strongun ejército de diez mil hombres(before noun) a ten-strong teamun equipo de diez personas ( or jugadores etc)
- to be going strong (car/machine)marchar bien(organization)he's 85 and still going strong
ir or marchar viento en popatiene 85 años y sigue (estando) en plena formasee also→ come on 5
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.