Translation of sturdy in Spanish:
adjective/adjetivo (-dier, -diest)
- 1.1 (robust) [build/legs/figure] robusto, macizo; [furniture/bicycle] sólido y resistente; [fabric] fuerte, resistente she comes from sturdy peasant stock es de una familia de campesinos fuertes y robustosExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (determined) [resistance/opposition] férreo, tenaz, inquebrantable
- Already slender, he will lose five more pounds, a task made difficult by his sturdy skier's physique.
- Aidan was five, a sturdy boy with chubby arms and legs.
- The most magical things about Matthew Bugg's balletic Ariel are the flying effects; his sturdy body never quite fits his name.
- It was a nice one, made from strong wood and thatch, sturdy enough to withstand an Avalon hurricane, even with its second story.
- My only concern is whether the binding is sturdy enough to withstand the amount of use that this book is most likely to experience.
- The boat had to be sturdy enough to withstand 40 days and nights of rain.
- In my case it was Barnacarroll and there was no moaning about the walk just a sturdy determination to get on with it and be there for the great occasion.
- Because of her sturdy intellectual independence and integrity, Ravitch exempts no sect, ideology, or school from failure and folly.
- Is this the party of enterprise, of self-help, of sturdy independence?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.