Translation of substitute in Spanish:
- 1 (thing)substitute (
forsomething) coffee/sugar substitutesucedáneo del café/del azúcarthere's no substitute for experiencenada puede sustituir a la experienciathere is no substitute for doing it by handno hay nada como hacerlo a manoaccept no substitutes!¡no acepte imitaciones!Example sentences
- There is no substitute for immediate political intervention to diffuse this crisis.
- Real-time data informing the passenger of poor service availability is no substitute for improved service availability.
- No substitute for experience exists, though, and I certainly will not make the same mistake again.
- The instructor had been an older man and someone that Carl had seen as a father figure, a substitute to fill part of a missing piece of his life.
- Before World War II, the single mother remained within her family circle, where a grandfather or uncle could become a substitute father.
- Victorio is dispassionate and controlling as the substitute father figure.
- 2 (person) to be a substitute
forsomebodysustituir a alguienshe's just a substitute for his motherella no es más que un sustituto de la figura materna(before noun) (goalkeeper/player)
- Each team will comprise of 5 players and two substitutes and games begin at 9.30 am prompt.
- Parsley again goes into a cup match without a substitute goalkeeper.
- On an earlier occasion, I suggested that if a player is injured and unable to take part, a substitute should replace the injured man and take part in the game without any restrictions whatsoever.
- to substitute something
forsomethingsubstitute X for Ysustituir la Y por Xsubstitute honey for sugarsustituya or reemplace el azúcar por mielExample sentences
- Plastic mesh can be substituted for the wire mesh.
- The stem bark yields quality fibre that may be substituted for jute, but is stated to be of no advantage over jute.
- It could also save the lives of laboratory mice because chicken eggs and embryos share many genes and biochemical pathways with mammals, so they can be substituted for live animals in experiments.
- to substitute
forsomething/somebodycan you substitute for me (on) Friday night?¿me puedes sustituir or reemplazar el viernes por la noche?in this recipe parsley can substitute for corianderen esta receta el cilantro se puede sustituir por perejilExample sentences
- Bananas are a good alternative to potatoes as a source of potassium, and citrus fruits can substitute for broccoli to cover vitamin C requirements.
- Unmanned air surface and undersea vehicles can substitute for the loss of a number of ships, but not for all of them.
- Insurers have guaranteed schools that non-teaching staff employed to patrol school property or to substitute for staff on uncertified sick leave will be covered.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.