- 1 (undermine) [government/system] socavar las bases de; [authority] minar; [role] trastocar*More example sentences
- Please reject this underhanded attempt to subvert democracy in Illinois.
- Even exercising our vote may turn out to be no more than palliative in a democracy continually subverted by the power of money.
- She clearly sees this as an attempt by the Republicans to steal her vote and subvert the system.
- 2 (corrupt) [belief/morality/diplomat] subvertir*
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The RAE (Real Academia de la Lengua Española) is a body established in the eighteenth century to record and preserve the Spanish language. It is made up of académicos, who are normally well-known literary figures and/or academic experts on the Spanish language. The RAE publishes the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española, which is regarded as an authority on correct Spanish. Affiliated academies exist in Latin American countries.