transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (hold up) [bridge/structure] sostener* the roof is supported by six columns el tejado descansa sobre or se apoya en seis columnas the chair couldn't support his weight la silla no pudo aguantar or resistir su peso she had to support herself on a chair tuvo que apoyarse en una sillaMore example sentences1.2 [Economics/Economía] [Finance] [price/growth] mantener*, sostener* a move to support the dollar una medida para mantener la cotización del dólar or para proteger el dólar
More example sentences
- The sixty-three-ton dome was also supported by reinforced braces.
- A structural, or load bearing, brick wall is a wall in which brick supports the weight of the structure.
- It is the frame that supports the weight of the prop and the child actor, distributing it across the body of the bearer.
- These people are supported financially and given all assistance to be self-sufficient in our community and this cost a lot of money.
- He's in love with her but is too much of a coward to leave Vanessa, who supports him financially.
- One of the ways liberals hope to regain that ground is by following the conservative model of running and financially supporting candidates in local races.
- 2 2.1 (maintain, sustain) [family/children] mantener*, sostener*, sustentar to support oneself ganarse la vida or [literary/literario] el sustento the hospital is supported entirely by private donations el hospital está enteramente financiado por donaciones de particulares 2.2 [Computing/Informática] admitirMore example sentences
More example sentences
- The thing doesn't support Hyper-Threading in its current BIOS version.
- All Intel chipsets supporting 533MHz system bus do support Hyper-Threading.
- What's interesting about this is that the 3.06GHz Pentium 4 was the first P4 to officially support Hyper-Threading.
More example sentences
- Men were dedicated to providing for and supporting their family and raising noteworthy children.
- Other countries have been perhaps more successful at striking a balance between economic necessities and supporting the family.
- All my life they have supported me and provided all the necessary things.
- After all, a river that can hold huge carp and catfish should, in theory, have enough food to support some big barbel.
- Fed by upland streams, its brackish waters supported a wide variety of life.
- This could signal that Mars, a dry and cold planet, was once an environment friendly enough to support life.
- 3 3.1 (encourage) apoyar, ayudar they went along to support their team fueron a animar a su equipo 3.2 (back) [cause/motion] apoyar which team do you support? ¿de qué equipo eres (hincha)? I support the Greens estoy con los verdes delegates voted to support the resolution los delegados votaron a favor de la resolución 3.3 (back up) apoyar we support him wholeheartedly lo apoyamos sin reservasMore example sentences
- Your spouse is there to comfort and support you so depend on him or her a little.
- We will do our best to comfort and support them in every way while you do your duty.
- Your loving partner supports you through troubled waters.
- 4 [Cinema/Cine] [Music/Música] [Theater/Teatro] secundar he's supported by a splendid cast lo secunda or respalda un magnífico elenco de actores the band was supported by … el grupo telonero fue …More example sentences
- Now she knows what she wants, her career has become secondary - thus her choice of supporting roles in ensemble films such as Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve and Full Frontal.
- He will soon be cast as a supporting actor in a film.
- Why do they have supporting actor categories for film, but not for television?
- 5 (corroborate) [explanation/theory] respaldar, confirmar, sustentarMore example sentences
- This study supports several researchers who suggest using the neutral zone and no-touch technique to reduce the risk of injuries during surgical procedures.
- The data presented in the study supports this suggestion.
- These suggestions are indirectly supported by spinal microdialysis study.
- 1 1.1 countable/numerable (of structure) soporte (masculine) 1.2 countable/numerable [Medicine/Medicina] [Sport/Deporte] protector (masculine) athletic support (British English/inglés británico) suspensorio (masculine), suspensor (masculine) (Peru/Perú) (River Plate area/Río de la Plata) 1.3 uncountable/no numerable (physical) the pillars provide the support for the arches los pilares sirven de apoyo a los arcos to lean on sb for support apoyarse en algn (para sostenerse) these shoes give a lot of support estos zapatos sujetan or sostienen bien el pie (before noun/delante del nombre) support stockings medias (feminine plural) elásticas support pantyhose (American English/inglés norteamericano) o tights (British English/inglés británico) panti(e)s (masculine plural) elásticos, panti(e)s (feminine plural) elásticas, pantimedias (feminine plural) elásticas (Mexico/México)
- 2 2.1 uncountable/no numerable (financial) ayuda (feminine) (económica), apoyo (masculine) (económico) government support for sports is inadequate la ayuda or el apoyo gubernamental al deporte es insuficiente he has no means of support no tiene ninguna fuente de ingresos, no tiene con qué mantenerse she has (financial) support from her ex-husband su exmarido contribuye económicamente a su manutención 2.2 countable/numerable (person) sostén (masculine)
- 3 countable/numerable (backing, encouragement) apoyo (masculine), respaldo (masculine) you can count on my support puede contar con mi apoyo or respaldo I've had absolutely no support from you no me has apoyado en absoluto the class folded because of lack of support la clase tuvo que cerrar por falta de interés the crowd gave their team vociferous support el público animó a su equipo con gran vehemencia I went with her to give her (moral) support la acompañé para que se sintiera apoyada or respaldada (before noun/delante del nombre) a support system for single-parent families una infraestructura de apoyo a las familias monoparentales
- 4 uncountable/no numerable 4.1 [Military/Militar] apoyo (masculine), refuerzo (masculine) to bring up troops/ships in support llevar tropas/barcos de apoyo (before noun/delante del nombre) [vessels/trenches/troops] de apoyo 4.2 (backup) servicio (masculine) al cliente technical/dealer support servicio técnico/de ventas (before noun/delante del nombre) [package/material] adicional, suplementario [program] [Computing/Informática] de apoyo
- 5in support of (as preposition/como preposición) he spoke in support of the motion habló a favor de or en apoyo de la moción a demonstration in support of the President una manifestación de apoyo al presidente she could produce no evidence in support of her claim no pudo presentar pruebas en apoyo de su demanda he produced figures in support of his theory presentó cifras que respaldaban or confirmaban su teoría
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Guernica is a Basque town destroyed by German bombers fighting on the Nationalist side in the Spanish Civil War in April 1937.