Translation of support in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (hold up)(bridge/structure)the roof is supported by six columns
sostenerel tejado descansa sobre or se apoya en seis columnasthe chair couldn't support his weightla silla no pudo aguantar or resistir su pesoshe had to support herself on a chairtuvo que apoyarse en una sillaExample sentences1.2 (Economics, Finance) a move to support the dollar
una medida para mantener la cotización del dólar or para proteger el dólarExample sentences
- The sixty-three-ton dome was also supported by reinforced braces.
- A structural, or load bearing, brick wall is a wall in which brick supports the weight of the structure.
- It is the frame that supports the weight of the prop and the child actor, distributing it across the body of the bearer.
- These people are supported financially and given all assistance to be self-sufficient in our community and this cost a lot of money.
- He's in love with her but is too much of a coward to leave Vanessa, who supports him financially.
- One of the ways liberals hope to regain that ground is by following the conservative model of running and financially supporting candidates in local races.
- 2 2.1 (maintain, sustain) to support oneselfganarse la vida or [literary] el sustentothe hospital is supported entirely by private donationsel hospital está enteramente financiado por donaciones de particularesExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (Computing)
- Men were dedicated to providing for and supporting their family and raising noteworthy children.
- Other countries have been perhaps more successful at striking a balance between economic necessities and supporting the family.
- All my life they have supported me and provided all the necessary things.
- After all, a river that can hold huge carp and catfish should, in theory, have enough food to support some big barbel.
- Fed by upland streams, its brackish waters supported a wide variety of life.
- This could signal that Mars, a dry and cold planet, was once an environment friendly enough to support life.
- The thing doesn't support Hyper-Threading in its current BIOS version.
- All Intel chipsets supporting 533MHz system bus do support Hyper-Threading.
- What's interesting about this is that the 3.06GHz Pentium 4 was the first P4 to officially support Hyper-Threading.
- 3 3.1 (encourage) they went along to support their teamfueron a animar a su equipoExample sentences3.2 (back)
(cause/motion)which team do you support?
- Your spouse is there to comfort and support you so depend on him or her a little.
- We will do our best to comfort and support them in every way while you do your duty.
- Your loving partner supports you through troubled waters.
apoyar¿de qué equipo eres (hincha)?I support the Greensestoy con los verdesdelegates voted to support the resolutionlos delegados votaron a favor de la resolución3.3 (back up) we support him wholeheartedlylo apoyamos sin reservasExample sentences
- This study supports several researchers who suggest using the neutral zone and no-touch technique to reduce the risk of injuries during surgical procedures.
- The data presented in the study supports this suggestion.
- These suggestions are indirectly supported by spinal microdialysis study.
- 4 (Cinema, Music, Theater) he's supported by a splendid castlo secunda or respalda un magnífico elenco de actoresthe band was supported by …el grupo telonero fue …Example sentences
- Now she knows what she wants, her career has become secondary - thus her choice of supporting roles in ensemble films such as Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve and Full Frontal.
- He will soon be cast as a supporting actor in a film.
- Why do they have supporting actor categories for film, but not for television?
- 1 1.1 countable (of structure)Example sentences1.2 countable (Medicine, Sport) athletic support (British English) 1.3 uncountable (physical) the pillars provide the support for the arches
los pilares sirven de apoyo a los arcosto lean on somebody for supportapoyarse en alguien (para sostenerse)these shoes give a lot of supportestos zapatos sujetan or sostienen bien el pie(before noun) support stockings support pantyhose (American English) o tights (British English)panti(e)s (masculine plural) elásticos
- Officers called to the scene found the old-style red cast iron phone kiosk in smithereens with just the four corner upright supports still standing.
- The functional requirements of a toast-rack are far less stringent, and this is one of a series of designs in which Dresser plays with different geometrical possibilities for creating a row of upright supports.
- If it's a small target, like the upright supports of a bridge or the mouth of a cave, you need a bomb that will land within ten feet of where you aim it.
panti(e)s (feminine plural) elásticas
pantimedias (feminine plural) elásticas (Mexico)
- 2 2.1 uncountable (financial) government support for sports is inadequatela ayuda or el apoyo gubernamental al deporte es insuficientehe has no means of supportno tiene ninguna fuente de ingresosshe has (financial) support from her ex-husband
no tiene con qué mantenersesu exmarido contribuye económicamente a su manutenciónExample sentences2.2 countable (person)
- She said positions at risk were mainly those of support staff and teaching assistants.
- As a result, it is short of sufficient financial and material support to develop any further.
- They have no back up system, no organisation to which they can turn to for support and financial assistance.
- Finally, I have contacted colleagues who were only too happy to give their support for this letter.
- The council said it had received 444 objections and seven letters of support for the application.
- He needs to do so to affirm popular and Congressional support for an arduous campaign.
- 3 countable (backing, encouragement) you can count on my supportpuede contar con mi apoyo or respaldoI've had absolutely no support from youno me has apoyado en absolutothe class folded because of lack of supportla clase tuvo que cerrar por falta de interésthe crowd gave their team vociferous supportel público animó a su equipo con gran vehemenciaI went with her to give her (moral) supportla acompañé para que se sintiera apoyada or respaldada(before noun) a support system for single-parent familiesuna infraestructura de apoyo a las familias monoparentalesExample sentences
- He was leaning on the back of the sofa for support and wearing a satisfied smirk.
- Sheila found herself clutching the sideboard for support as a surge of vertigo threatened to overcome her.
- He seems none the worse for wear, despite momentarily leaning on his scythe for support.
- 4 uncountable 4.1 (Military) to bring up troops/ships in supportllevar tropas/barcos de apoyo(before noun) (vessels/trenches/troops)4.2 (backup) technical/dealer support
de apoyoservicio técnico/de ventas(program)(Computing)
de apoyoExample sentences
- In the area of technical helpdesk support, Fraser is also looking to win up to four new clients each year.
- It will be responsible for desktops, mail systems, network, intranet and website support.
- My main objection regarding Microsoft's whole licensing scheme is the lack of decent home user support.
- 5in support of (as preposition) he spoke in support of the motionhabló a favor de or en apoyo de la mocióna demonstration in support of the Presidentuna manifestación de apoyo al presidenteshe could produce no evidence in support of her claimno pudo presentar pruebas en apoyo de su demandahe produced figures in support of his theorypresentó cifras que respaldaban or confirmaban su teoría
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.