Translation of suppress in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (restrain, check)(feelings)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (prevent publication of)
- So is it healthier to express or suppress your feelings?
- In other words, nightmares occur when dreams fail to blunt the body's emotional response, whereas successful dreaming controls and suppresses the feeling in dreams and protects the continuity of sleep.
- During the first, some were asked to express feelings of anger and others were asked to suppress those feelings.
(text)(facts/evidence/truth)(newspaper)retirar de la circulaciónExample sentences1.3 (put a stop to)
- After his memories were suppressed, he was allowed free access into his subconscious.
- She stepped into the scalding water of the tub and sank down into her array of bubbles, suppressing the memories of the accident and focusing all her energy on how she was going to convince Melanie she didn't want to try out for the dance team.
- In addition, the researchers found that the more subjects activated their frontal cortex during the experiment, the better they were at suppressing unwanted memories.
(political party/organization)Example sentences
- You've ceased to try to deal with the issues, and moved into attempts to suppress information to prevent others from even being exposed to the issues.
- Regulators suppressed the negative information on the grounds that it might scare families and physicians away from the drugs, according to testimony by drug company executives.
- The Pakistani authorities have reportedly suppressed this information and not shared it with the US.
- The authorities forcibly suppressed the demonstration.
- Between the years 1892 and 1894, the Fasci was forcibly suppressed by the government and ordered to disband.
- This sparked a series of student demonstrations that were savagely suppressed, killing over 100.
- 2 (Radio, Television)Example sentences
- The narrowband interference is then suppressed in the signal combiner prior to application to the standard cross correlation process.
- Spark plug wires that suppress electro-magnetic interference are a necessity in our electronics-rich race cars, but these wires can degrade over time.
- Due to such a constitution, the generation of the interference light can be suppressed.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.