Translation of suspect in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo/səˈspekt/
- 1 1.1 (believe guilty) [person] sospechar de whom do they suspect? ¿de quién sospechan?to suspect sb
ofsth/ -ingI suspect him of the murder/robbery sospecho que es el asesino/ladrón we suspect him of lying sospechamos que mienteExample sentences1.2 (doubt, mistrust) [sincerity/probity] dudar de, tener* dudas acerca de I rather suspect his motives tengo mis dudas acerca de sus motivos
- Tom is suspected of dealing in stolen goods but the police have found it difficult to get evidence against him.
- The court held that the person ought to be told that he or she was suspected of being over age, and be given a chance to explain his or her position.
- I was suspected of being the leader of these people, and I needed a way to throw them off of my trail.
- There wasn't any particular reason to suspect anything, I thought.
- 2 2.1 (believe to exist) they suspect nothing no sospechan nada she suspects a plot sospecha que ha habido un complot arson is not suspected no existen sospechas de que el incendio haya sido provocado 2.2(suspected past participle of/participio pasado de)a suspected fracture una posible fractura the suspected murderer el presunto asesino he's suffering from suspected appendicitis se sospecha que lo que tiene es apendicitis
- 3 (think probable) imaginarse I suspected as much ya me lo imaginaba or figuraba to suspect (
that) imaginarse queI suspected I'd find you here me imaginaba que te iba a encontrar aquí I suspect (that) it may be more serious than that me temo que pueda ser más graveExample sentences
- It's not a bad idea but I suspect it'll take a crisis such as a property crash to make people change their habits.
- Therefore, precautions should always be taken if the presence of asbestos is suspected.
- Cases of this type include suspected heart attacks, broken limbs and appendicitis.
- [package/behavior] sospechoso; [document/evidence] de dudosa autenticidad her motives are highly suspect sus motivos resultan sumamente sospechosos his knee is still a bit suspect todavía no está del todo bien de la rodilla they replaced the suspect pump cambiaron la bomba que se suponía causante del problema
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.