Translation of the in Spanish:
definite articleAmerican English: /ði/ , /ðə/ British English: /ðə/ , /ðɪ/ , /ðiː/
- 2 (used for emphasis) See examples:do you mean the Dr Black?she's the woman for the job¿te refieres al famoso Dr Black?it's the novel to read just nowes la mujer ideal para el puestoen este momento, es la novela que hay que leer
- 3 3.1 (with names) See examples: Henry the First/Second/Thirdthe SmithsEnrique primero/segundo/tercero3.2 (in generic use) the invention of the printing presslos Smiththe polar bearla invención de la imprentael oso polarExample sentences3.3 (in abstractions, generalizations) (+ singular verb) the possible/sublime
the young/oldlo posible/sublimelos jóvenes/viejos
- Parents have to be a lot more careful about what their children are allowed to watch on the TV.
- Lots of the singles on the CD were never on the radio here.
- Becky sings with our church choir and plays the piano.
- 4 (per) they sell it by the square footI get paid by the hourlo venden por pie cuadradothree dollars the yardme pagan por horatres dólares la yardaExample sentences
- These annual levies are only a few cents in the dollar.
- If you fly into wind you will get much less mileage to the litre.
- The Ballet School has some pianists on salary; others are paid by the hour.
- 5 (used instead of possessive pron) [colloquial] (singular) how's the family?the old elbow's giving him trouble again¿qué tal la familia? [colloquial]está teniendo problemas con el codo otra vezExample sentences
- One night, the hubby and I stopped at the next door bakery and bought some bread.
- Are you all right? How are the kids?
adverb (+ comp)American English: /ði/ , /ðə/ British English: /ðə/ , /ðɪ/ , /ðiː/
- 1.1 (as conjunction) the more you have, the more you wantthe more she knows them, the less she likes themcuanto más tienes, más quieresthe sooner, the better 1.2 (in comparisons) I'm the richer for this experiencecuanto más los conoce, menos le gustanall the better to see you withme he enriquecido con esta experienciathat's all the more reason not to give inpara verte mejorthey'll be none the worse for some disciplinemayor razón para no cederno les vendrá mal un poco de disciplina
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.