Translation of thorn in Spanish:
- 1.1 (spine) espina (feminine) to be a thorn in sb's flesh o side ser* una espina que algn tiene clavadaExample sentences1.2 (shrub) espino (masculine)
- Roses ramble over walls, branches stiff with thorns and laden with huge blossoms.
- Certain plants have developed thorns to prevent themselves from being devoured and they work equally well as deterrents for humans too.
- Here in south Texas, where the mesquite brush and most other native plants have thorns and where not a few critters have a mean bite, it helps to be tough.
- ‘They threw me over the back of a camel and told me they would kill me if I cried,’ he said, sitting quietly under a thorn tree on the outskirts of Turalei.
- Instead of a well-equipped school their children are taught beneath the shade of a thorn tree.
- When he reached Glastonbury he planted his staff, which then took root and grew into a thorn tree.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Spain's 1978 Constitution granted areas of competence competencias to each of the autonomous regions it created. It also established that these could be modified by agreements, called estatutos de autonomía or just estatutos, between central government and each of the autonomous regions. The latter do not affect the competencias of central government which controls the army, etc. For example, Navarre, the Basque Country and Catalonia have their own police forces and health services, and collect taxes on behalf of central government. Navarre has its own civil law system, fueros, and can levy taxes which are different to those in the rest of Spain. In 2006, Andalusia, Valencia and Catalonia renegotiated their estatutos. The Catalan Estatut was particularly contentious.