Translation of thread in Spanish:
- 1.1 countable or uncountable (filament) a spool of thread (American English)I need a longer threadun carrete or (River Plate area) carretel de hilowith double threadnecesito una hebra más larga or un hilo más largoyou have a thread hangingcon hilo doblecon doble hebrato hang by a threadte cuelga un hilo or una hilachapender de un hiloExample sentences1.2 countable (strand, sequence) to follow the thread of a plot/conversation
to lose the threadseguir el hilo de una trama/conversaciónto pick o take up the thread(s) of something (of story, plot)perder el hilohe tried to pick up the threads of his former liferetomar el hilo de algoto gather up the threads (of story, life)trató de rehacer su vidaatar cabos sueltosExample sentences1.3 countable (Computing) (linked messages)
- Woven gauzes are manufactured from cotton yam or threads and woven like fabric.
- She sighed and let her hands rest on her lap, her fingers absently playing with a loose thread of cotton.
- Asbestos is the name of a group of minerals that occur naturally as masses of strong, flexible fibers that can be separated into thin threads and woven.
Example sentences1.4 countable (of screw)
- I know there are other threads on this subject, but they are more specific in nature.
- One of the unexpected benefits of posting the article to a newsgroup was that a thread developed on the subject of competition on the London to Manchester route.
- If you have any problems that aren't resolved here, then you can post on the forum thread by clicking here
- Multiple streams of data are characteristic of applications which execute multiple threads and processes in parallel.
- It solves the performance problem by executing all requests as threads in one process, or in a load-balanced system, in one process per server in the cluster.
- All processes are considered threads by the operating system.
also: threads plural(American English) [colloquial] (clothes)trapos (masculine plural) [colloquial]Example sentences
- This can be done either by putting a screw thread of the correct pitch on the barrel's axle or, more often, by shifting a lever.
- She took a standard coffee pot and put a perforated cylinder - similar to a sieve - in the middle, into which she put a plunger on a screw thread.
- A gouge auger is similar, but instead of a screw thread there is a sharp-ended tube with a slot cut in the side.
- Besides, what's the point of wearing the coolest threads of the season if your jacket doesn't say it all?
- I'd love to dress up in the latest threads from designer brands, but I'm a student and just cannot afford it.
- The new womenswear and menswear designer emporiums showcase threads from cutting edge houses, but you can still buy tartan shortbread in the food hall.
- 1(needle/sewing machine)(bead)to thread something
ontosomethingto thread somethingensartar algo enalgo throughsomethinghe threaded his shoelaces wrongpasar algo poralgoto thread one's way she threaded her way through the crowd/between the tables(se) acordonó mal los zapatosse abrió paso entre la multitud/por entre las mesasExample sentences
- I threaded up a needle with linen thread, and took one of the new-cut pieces of fabric and folded back a hem, and began my work.
- I demonstrated how to thread the blunt tapestry needle, where to place the knot and how to hold and move the needle when stitching.
- I stand and look down at the needle as I thread it with ease and neatly begin stitching.
- A weight followed by another smaller bead were threaded on the wire.
- It's just a case of threading them together like beads on a string, whether they make sense or not.
- During the fourth year the child learns to cut with scissors and to thread beads, develops a mature pencil grasp, and learns to draw.
- 2 (Technology)(screw/pipe)roscarExample sentences
- The cameraman would show me how to thread the film and how to repair it.
- APS cameras all auto-load these cartridges, so there is no messing about with threading film through a series of rollers.
- I pulled on my pants, threading a black leather belt through the belt loops.
- That way you'll have a little wiggle room to finesse each screw into its respective hole and get it threaded.
- What they do is to drill a pilot hole in the bolt, and place a bit into the hole that is reverse threaded so that while you are tightening up the bit, it is backing out the bolt.
- For hardwoods, such as flooring, siding and rafters, use spiral threaded nails that turn as they are driven into the wood.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...