Translation of tide in Spanish:
- 1 (Geography) we caught the first tidezarpamos con la primera marea altathe tide is in/outla marea está alta/bajathe tide is coming in/going outla marea está subiendo/bajandohigh/low tidemarea alta/bajaat high/low tideen pleamar/bajamar
cuando la marea está alta/baja
- 2 (current, movement) the rising tide of violencela creciente oleada de violenciathe tide is turning/has turned (lit: at high or low water)está cambiando/ha cambiado la mareathe tide has turned in favor of an allianceha habido un cambio de opinión, que ahora se inclina a favor de una alianzato swim against the tidenadar contra la corriente or a contracorrienteto swim with the tidedejarse llevar por la corriente→ time 1 1
seguir la corrienteExample sentences
- But access to the port basin lay through channels where the tide fell 32 feet twice daily.
- Sibyl glanced back at the rising and falling tides of the English Channel, and sighed with the grace of a heavy heart.
- The highest high tides, called the semilunar tides, occur twice a month around the times of the full and new moon.
- The structure would be built over the water, allowing the tide to ebb and flow unhindered.
- He related his own experience of how people can get caught out, unaware of the danger because it is the area nearest the shore that gets covered by water first as the tide comes in.
- As the tide ebbs the sea water starts to drain from the river, making visible the runs and likely lies of fish just in from the Atlantic.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.