- 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (material) madera (feminine) (para construcción) to be managerial/presidential timber (especially American English/especialmente inglés norteamericano) tener* madera de directivo/presidente (before noun/delante del nombre) [house] de madera timber merchant (comerciante (mf)) maderero, (m,f), comerciante de madera (mf) timber mill aserradero (m), aserrío (m) (Colombia) the timber trade la industria maderera timber yard (British English/inglés británico) almacén (masculine) de maderasMore example sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (trees) árboles (masculine plural) (madereros) timber! (as interjection/como interjección) ¡cuidado(, que cae)!
More example sentences1.3 countable/numerable (beam) viga (f), madero (m)
- The rainforest is being cleared legally and illegally for timber, for pulp wood to make paper, and to make way for oil palm plantations.
- An abundance of coppice woods, known as spring woods, were required to provide charcoal, tan bark, fuel wood and timber.
- They cleared some of the natural broadleaf woodland to make way for sheep pastures; they also coppiced or managed other parts of the woodland for timber and firewood.
More example sentences1.4 countable/numerable [Nautical/Náutica] cuaderna (feminine) shiver me timbers! [archaic/arcaico] ¡voto a bríos! [archaic/arcaico]
- Today, top grade oak timber is increasingly hard to find, with borer-perforated trees more suitable for paper or pulpwood.
- That's because until seedlings reach green-up, regulations keep adjacent cut blocks of marketable timber off limits to loggers.
- The cooperative has formed forest protection teams that have helped in the confiscation of illegally cut timber.
- The low, irregular ceiling is crisscrossed with beams made from ships' timbers and a log fire crackles merrily in the hearth.
- The house or building is reinforced with timbers supporting the floors inside.
- Cedar, fir, and pine were the preferred ship timbers of the ancient Mediterranean.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...