Translation of touch in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 uncountable (sense) they have a highly developed sense of touchtienen muy desarrollado el tacto or el sentido del tactosmooth to the touchExample sentences1.2 countable (physical contact) the cold touch of marble
el tacto frío del mármolat the touch of a buttoncon solo tocar un botónthe merest touch is enough to set off the alarm she longed for his touchañoraba sus abrazos ( or caricias etc)he needs to develop a lighter touch on the pianotiene que aprender a tocar el piano con más suavidadto be a soft touch [colloquial]I'll ask Uncle Harry; he's a soft touchle pediré el dinero al tío Harry, que es un buenazoforeign tourists are a soft touch for these conmenlos turistas extranjeros son presa fácil para estos estafadores
- Even if one is blessed with the senses of touch, smell, speech and hearing, it is sight that gives shape to imagination.
- They were doing this with their hands in the dark with just a flashlight, and just using their senses of touch, smell and sight.
- The wall will include different pieces of artwork to stimulate various senses including touch, smell, sight and sound.
- 2 countable (small amount, degree)(of paint) toque (masculine)add a touch of vinegar/saltagregue unas gotas de vinagre/una pizca de salthere's a touch of autumn in the airhay algo otoñal en el ambientea touch of feverun poco de fiebreunos quintos de fiebre (Latin America)a touch (as adverb)algoa touch closer to the wall
un poquitoalgo or un poquito más cerca de la paredit should have a touch less/more sugardebería tener algo or un poquito menos/más de azúcarExample sentences
- A touch of Mardi Gras with a carnival type atmosphere was the end result and children of all ages had a memorable experience on this special occasion in Tubbercurry.
- A touch of first night nerves hit the more experienced actors hardest, as one might expect but no doubt they disappeared as the week progressed.
- A touch of Superstar Complacency had set in, I thought - which is a bit rich when you haven't even released your first single yet.
- 3 3.1 countable (detail) it was a nice touch to mention …fue un detalle simpático hacer mención de …the script has some surreal touchesel guión tiene algunos detalles or elementos surrealistasto add o put the final o finishing touches/touch to somethingdarle los últimos toques/el último toque a algoExample sentences3.2 (effect) (no plural) the personal touch
el toque personalthere's a touch of Groucho Marx about himtiene algo de Groucho Marx
- Also offered is lunchtime delivery service, which, if you happen to work in the area, is a nice touch - call for details.
- While a little light in content, this was an interesting feature and a nice touch.
- A nice touch is the addition of plasma tv screens to watch sporting events while you play.
- 4 (skill) (no plural) he handles the scene with a sure touchmaneja la escena con gran habilidadafter 30 years he still hasn't lost his touch with an audienceaun después de 30 años no ha perdido la habilidad de cautivar al públicoa politician with the common touchun político que está en sintonía con el puebloExample sentences
- The Prime Minister, we are told, is losing his touch.
- However, I'm going to shout that honestly, Rick, you are losing your touch.
- But there are signs that he could be losing his touch for self-promotion.
- 5 uncountable (communication) to get/keep o stay in touch with somebodyponerse/mantenerse en contacto con alguienkeep in touchmanténte en contactoescribe/llama de vez en cuandono te pierdas [colloquial]I'll be in touchya te escribiré ( or llamaré etc)I lost touch with her two years agohace dos años que no sé nada de ella or que perdí el contacto con ellathe British runners are losing touch with the leaderslos corredores británicos se están quedando rezagadoshe's not in touch with his spiritual needsno es consciente de sus necesidades espiritualeshow can I get in touch with you?¿cómo me puedo poner en contacto con usted?I'm a bit out of touch with what's happening
¿cómo lo puedo contactar?no estoy muy al corriente or al tanto de lo que está pasandothey're completely out of touchno tienen ni ideathe Government is out of touch with the electorateel gobierno está desconectado del electoradoI can put them in touch with a good lawyerlos puedo poner en contacto con un buen abogado
- 1 1.1 (with finger, hand) he touched her handle tocó la manoplease do not touch the exhibitsse ruega no tocarExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (brush, graze) she felt the grass touching her face
- He didn't grip her tightly but barely let his fingers touch her body.
- A mother who picks up an affected new-born baby suddenly discovers she has left a trail of blisters across its body - just by touching it gently.
- Stealthily I moved in, until I was so close I could have actually touched the little body that lay motionless in the grass in front of me.
sintió como la hierba le rozaba la carathe clouds were touched with pink [literary]las nubes estaban teñidas de rosa1.3 (be in physical contact with) the bed was touching the wallla cama estaba pegada a or tocaba la paredExample sentences1.4 (approach) [colloquial]to touch somebody
- They reached, and for one agonising moment they touched fingers…
- She hands him back his credit card, and their fingers touch for a moment.
- Their hands touched slightly and Ann pulled back as though she had been burned.
- Its majestic branches drooped dramatically, some nearly touching the ground, but all providing a cozy little curtain whenever the crew decided to hang around at its grassy base.
- She was curled up in a cozy little ball with her arms around her knees, nightshirt trailing beneath her like a ghostly shroud, not quite touching the floor.
- He was incredibly professional looking, his black and gray robes nearly touching the floor.
forsomethinghe touched me for $50me pidió 50 dólaresto touch somebody for a loandarle un sablazo or (River Plate area) pechazo a alguien [colloquial]pedirle dinero prestado a alguienExample sentences
- The yen, meanwhile, held in check by Japan's central bank, can only manage a 41-month high, touching levels last seen in late 2000.
- From any standard this level is said to be touching the poverty line, but statistics show that despite the government's claims poverty is on the rise.
- The housing loan, the key component of the advance portfolio, touched the level of Rs 110 crore.
- Sasha, a charity worker, is more interested in cosying up to big fish than touching them for their money.
- So in a fit of sentimentality and with the keen realization that the guy still has a couple hundred grand that you haven't touched him for yet, you name your first born after it.
- You can touch Evan for the occasional meal or drinks but a million bucks is crossing the line.
- 2 2.1 (reach) she leaped out as soon as the boat touched the shoresaltó del bote en cuanto este llegó a la orillaI can't touch my toesno llego or no alcanzo a tocarme los piesmy feet don't touch the bottom (of pool)no hago piethe speedometer was touching 140mph
no toco fondoel velocímetro marcaba 140mphsales touched rock bottom in Junelas ventas tocaron fondo en junio2.2 (equal) (usually negative) nobody can touch her in this type of rolees inigualable or no tiene rival en este tipo de papelthere's nothing to touch milk as a cure for heartburnno hay nada como la leche para la acidez estomacalExample sentences
- There's no one who can touch Noble for flights of nonsensical fancy.
- Chris [Cormier] can't touch Flex for symmetry and structure, and that's why I expect a lighter and better Wheeler to finish a strong second behind Ronnie.
- But when it comes to building lovable robots, no-on can touch Sony for cuteness (and no, they're not on sale yet).
- 3 (usually negative) 3.1 (interfere with) don't touch anythingno toques nadashe can't touch the inheritance till she's twenty-oneno puede tocar la herencia hasta los veintiún añosExample sentences3.2 (attend to, deal with) I haven't touched my Japanese for weeks
no he tocado un libro de japonés desde hace varias semanasthe local garage won't touch foreign carsen el taller del barrio no quieren saber nada de coches extranjerosarticles touching every current issueartículos (masculine plural) concernientes a todo tipo de temas de actualidad3.3 (eat, drink) he didn't touch his lunchno tocó la comidashe never touches alcohol
- I hadn't touched the gear handle or flaps after the shot, and, therefore, reasoned the gear and flaps still were down.
- Nevertheless, these are dangerous animals and should not be touched or interfered with in any way by divers.
- McLaren were also fined even though the contents of the box were not touched and were legal.
no probó bocadono prueba el alcoholExample sentences
- The Deep has managed to build up credit worth £2.9m, but because it is a registered charity, does not pay tax, and therefore cannot touch the money.
- Are we still not touching money today because it's dirty?
- Since you cannot touch the money until you retire, you no longer have a rainy-day fund, or a down payment for a house.
- 4 4.1 (affect, concern) the nuclear threat touches all of usla amenaza nuclear nos afecta a todosExample sentences4.2 (move emotionally) he was touched by her kindness
su amabilidad lo enterneció or le llegó al almaI'm very touched¡cuánto se lo agradezco!I was deeply touchedme emocioné
- This was a concert for those touched by dispossession and resistance.
- When one talks about reforms in the Muslim community, none of the important organisations touch these issues.
- Thanks for a great analysis touching many of the important bases.
- 1verb + adverb 1.1 (Aerospace, Aviation) (on land)
- (Transport) (in London)
- (Transport) (in London)
- 1 (alter, enhance)
- → touch on
hacer escala en
hacer escala en
(on moon) alunizar1.2 (in rugby)
marcar un ensayo or (Argentina) try (al poner el balón en el suelo)2verb + object + adverb (in rugby)
poner en el suelo
poner en el suelo
poner la tarjeta en el lector amarillo al entrar
poner la tarjeta en el lector amarillo al salir
(article/essay)2 (touch sexually) (British English) [colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.