Translation of trip in Spanish:
- 1 (journey)(excursion) excursión (feminine)(outing) salida (feminine)I'd like to go on a long tripme gustaría hacer un viaje largoa weekend trip to Parisun viaje de fin de semana a Paríswe took a trip down to the coastfuimos de excursión a la costashe's going on a trip to Japanse va de viaje al Japónhe's away on a tripestá de viajea trip to the theater
ha salido de viajeuna salida or una visita al teatroa trip to the countryuna excursión or salida al campoa trip to the zoo/dentistuna visita al zoológico/dentistaenjoy your trip! it took two trips to bring everything overtuvimos ( or tuvieron etc) que hacer dos viajes para traerlo todo
- 2 2.1 (stumble, fall)Example sentences2.2 (attempt to make somebody fall) 2.3→ tripwire
- More than 10% of head injuries requiring hospitalisation amongst children come from simple trips and falls when just running around.
- Other topics on the agenda are reducing slips, trips and falls and back injury, preventing at-work road accidents and managing asbestos in buildings.
- The majority of genuine damages claims were for slips, trips and falls.
- 3 [slang] 3.1 (drug-induced)viaje (masculine) [slang]colocón (masculine) [slang]pasón (masculine) (Mexico) [slang]to be on a tripestar en un viaje or tener un colocón or (Mexico tb) estar en un pasón [slang]he's had a bad tripha hecho un mal viaje [slang]Example sentences3.2 (obsession) she's been on a real guilt trip lately
le ha dado por sentirse culpable últimamentethey've gone on this health food triples ha dado la manía de la comida sanasee also→ ego trip
- It was a nice article about Walter's hallucinations and drug trips.
- I've seen the mandalas and lights and patterns of delirium and drug trips, watched the shamans in their trances during field research.
- Much as he liked his acid trips, cocaine was not his thing.
intransitive verb -pp-
- 1 1.1 (stumble) to trip and falltropezar y caerseto trip
on/ oversomethingtropezarthey were tripping over themselves to help him conalgose deshacían por ayudarloExample sentences1.2→ trip up 1
- Marcy stumbled backwards and tripped over her own foot, falling on her bottom with a thud and nearly toppling over the edge of the rock again.
- But because of my precarious balance I stumbled back, tripped over my own feet and landed on someone's lap.
- Completely taken by surprise, Vincent tripped over the foot and stumbled, falling headlong for the floor.
- 2 (move lightly and easily) (+ adverb complement) she tripped along beside himcaminaba a su lado con paso airoso or ligeroher surname doesn't exactly trip off the tonguesu apellido no es muy fácil de pronunciar, que digamosthe answer came tripping off his tonguela respuesta le salió automáticamenteExample sentences
- For the whole day, I ate small bits of food, skipped, tripped, danced and pranced to my next destination, Penepia.
- Kim bounded up the steps first, tripping into the hall.
- Kari restrained herself from running to the counter, and compromised by walk/hopping and tripping.
- 3 (on drugs) [slang]flipar(se) [slang]Example sentences
- She thinks little of seeking vengeance for wrongs, tripping out on magic mushrooms and, in an especially lovely moment of controlled atmosphere, engaging in a spot of Ouija board shenanigans.
- A friend and I were tripping on an unspecified drug, laughing our heads off, and channel surfing.
- Well to make a long story short she was killed by a drug addict who was tripping on acid.
transitive verb -pp-
- 1 (make stumble) (intentionally)hacerle una zancadilla aponerle or echarle una or la zancadilla a (Spain)you tripped her!¡le hiciste una zancadilla!¡le pusiste or echaste la or una zancadilla! (Spain)Example sentences
- Though this was kind of a good thing, meaning that she wouldn't be falling over and tripping the other people that were also in the car.
- Well anyway, Mandy and I were both running after the ball, and I guess I tripped her or she fell on her own, but she went down.
- He laughed at every fall, and tripped him when he tried to get up.
- 2→ trip up 2
- 3 (set off)(alarm)
hacer que se dispareExample sentences
- The lift reached the ground floor safely, but the extra weight tripped a brake and cut the power supply.
- If a single atom of the substance decays, it will activate a relay mechanism which trips a hammer.
- When the stop switch is tripped, floor-mounted clamps lock down the pins on the body shell.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.