Translation of very in Spanish:
- 1.1 (extremely) muy she's very tall/clever/fat es muy alta/inteligente/gorda (more emphatic) es altísima/inteligentísima/gordísima was he upset? — very ¿estaba disgustado? — mucho it was very hot/cold hacía mucho calor/frío are you hungry? — no, not very ¿tienes hambre? — no, no mucha it was very wrong of me to interfere estuve muy mal en entrometerme I'm really very, very sorry de verdad lo siento muchísimo you know very well what I'm talking about sabes muy bien a qué me refieroExample sentences1.2 (in phrases/en locuciones) very much thank you very much muchas gracias did you enjoy it? — yes, very much indeed ¿te gustó? — sí, mucho he's very much his mother's favorite es, con mucho, el favorito de su madre very well muy bien I couldn't very well refuse ¡cómo me iba a negar!
Example sentences1.3 (emphatic) did you do it all on your very own? ¿lo hiciste tú solito? the very next day precisamente al día siguiente the very same day el mismísimo or (Central America/América Central) (Mexico/México) (Venezuela) [colloquial/familiar] el mero día I did the very same thing myself yo hice exactamente lo mismo it's the very least I can do es lo mínimo or lo menos que puedo hacer at the very most/least como máximo/mínimo nothing but the very best solo lo mejor de lo mejor
- People seem to take the idea of Kevin Bacon, and his Six degrees, very seriously.
- This is something that you learn quite quickly and is very easy to exploit if you want free technical support.
- There has been a very high degree of co-operation between everyone involved in this case.
- Yorkshire and especially Bradford must be very proud of this wonderful caring celebrity.
- James, especially, took it very badly when he told them how useless they were.
- It was a dark, deep chocolate truffle with a very distinct bite of fresh black pepper.
- I've seen a lot of movies, but this is truly one of the very best I could ever hope to see.
adjective/adjetivo(before noun/delante del nombre)
- 1.1 (exact, precise) mismo for that very reason por esa misma razón, por eso mismo at that very moment en ese mismo or preciso momento this is the very spot where I found it fue aquí mismo or en este preciso lugar donde lo encontré that's the very one I wanted ese es exactamente el que yo quería ah! the very person I wanted to see! ¡ah, justo la persona a quien quería ver! 1.2 (absolute, extreme) it's at the very bottom of the pile está justo abajo de todo, está justo en el fondo del montón right from the very start desde el primer momento right in the very middle en el mismísimo or (Central America/América Central) (Mexico/México) (Venezuela) [colloquial/familiar] el mero centro she's at the very peak of her career está en la cima or cúspide de su carrera in the very heart of the jungle en el corazón mismo de la jungla at the very most como máximo, a lo sumo 1.3 (actual) mismo its very existence is threatened su misma existencia se halla amenazada not Joe Altman? — yes, the very man (himself) ¿no dirás Joe Altman? — sí, el mismísimo or (Central America/América Central) (Mexico/México) (Venezuela) [colloquial/familiar] el mero 1.4 (mere, sheer) solo, mero the very mention of her name la sola or mera mención de su nombre the very thought of it makes me furious me pongo furioso de solo pensarlo walk out without paying? the very idea! ¿irnos sin pagar? ¡cómo se te ocurre! 1.5 (utter, veritable) [literary/literario] very God Dios de Dios the veriest scoundrel [archaic] el sinvergüenza más grande
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.