- 1.1 countable or uncountable/numerable o no numerable (advice, threat) advertencia (feminine) what happened should be a warning to them lo que pasó debería servirles de advertencia a word of warning: don't be late! una advertencia or te lo advierto: no llegues tarde he added a word of warning about smoking también advirtió de or hizo una advertencia sobre los peligros del tabaco the flags are a warning that it's unsafe to bathe las banderas advierten or indican que es peligroso bañarse the player was given an official warning el jugador recibió una amonestación the sign is intended to give a warning to travelers la señal está ahí como advertencia a los viajeros (before noun/delante del nombre) warning bell señal (feminine) de aviso warning device dispositivo (masculine) de alarma I shot her a warning glance le lancé una mirada de advertencia, le advertí con la mirada warning light señal (f) luminosa, luz (f) indicadora warning notice aviso (masculine) warning shot disparo (masculine) de advertencia warning sign señal (feminine) de aviso or de alertaMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (prior notice) aviso (masculine) they arrived without warning llegaron sin avisar or sin previo aviso I gave you plenty of warning te avisé con tiempo de sobra we need three days' written warning tienen que avisarnos por escrito con tres días de antelación
- It is also unclear if warnings or cautions were picked up as well as convictions.
- Police in the area have issued several warnings fearful that somebody will eventually be hurt.
- Experts will also be on hand to explain how the Agency forecasts floods and how its warnings are issued.
More example sentences
- Yet all the words of warning and cautionary tales cannot dent his ambition to do something out of the ordinary.
- Anyone with information or queries regarding this warning should contact our advice line on 0845 600 1352.
- Although by definition a caveat is a caution or warning that the notifier be given a hearing, yet it usually helps stall rather than alter a situation.
- They recommend that a link should be provided to the Environment Agency's flood warning system to give residents advance warning in future.
- I've given my flatmates advance warning - I'll be a bit sad to give up this flat as it's the best one I've had and has really felt like home for almost a year now.
- Contestants are being given plenty of advance warning to get out their drawing boards, their hammers and barrels and get working on their master pieces.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Basque autonomous police force is called Ertzaintza. Its members, called ertzainas, wear a uniform of red sweaters and berets, and white jackets. Despite the Ertzaintza's wide range of responsibilities, the Guardia Civil and Policía Nacional still operate in the Basque Country.