Translation of waste in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (of fuel, materials) a waste of timeit's a waste of moneyuna pérdida de tiempodon't you think it's a waste of space?es tirar el dineroa waste of effort¿no te parece que estás desperdiciando or desaprovechando espacio?it's a waste of breath trying to make him see reasonun esfuerzo inútilthe waste of food here is dreadfultratar de que entre en razón es gastar saliva inútilmentethere is no waste in this hames espantoso cómo tiran aquí la comidawe can save money by avoiding wasteeste jamón no tiene desperdicioshe's working as a waitress: it's such a waste!podemos economizar evitando los despilfarrosto go to waste (talent)trabaja de camarera: ¡qué desperdicio!desperdiciarse(food)he let his talent go to wastedesperdició su talentoExample sentences
- Elections even at a state level cost money and both parties wish to avoid an unnecessary waste of money by contesting in an election that they will lose.
- It was an inappropriate appointment, in that it was clearly a dismal waste of his extravagant talents.
- We went for a weekend, which on the face of it sounds like an extravagant waste of time, but was actually painlessly good fun.
- 2 uncountable 2.1 (refuse)human wasteresiduos (masculine plural)desechos (masculine plural)2.2 (surplus matter)excrementos (masculine plural)material (masculine) sobrante or de desechoExample sentences
- A nearly inert material, concrete is suitable as a medium for recycling waste or industrial by-products.
- Many are turned into cesspools and dumping sites for solid waste, including hazardous materials.
- Americans are right to refuse truckloads of garbage that contain biomedical waste and radioactive material.
- 1 (misuse, squander)(time)(opportunity/chance)he has wasted his lifewe wasted a lot of time arguingha desperdiciado su vidayou're wasting my timeperdimos mucho tiempo discutiendohe didn't waste any time (in) cashing the checkme estás haciendo perder el tiempoyou're wasting your breath!se fue a cobrar el cheque sin perder (ni) un minutoyour work won't be wastedestás gastando saliva inútilmenteto waste somethingtu trabajo no ha sido en vano
onsomebody/something/ -inghe's wasted a fortune on cars/(on) eating outdon't waste your time on themha derrochado una fortuna en coches/comiendo en restaurantesthe irony was wasted on herno pierdas el tiempo con ellosno captó la ironíaExample sentences
- In the latter case the holding of the meeting would have served no useful purpose and would merely waste the available assets of the bankrupt's estate.
- Electricity from excess illumination wastes an enormous amount of energy needlessly.
- Here he argued that Russians themselves did not want to make peace with Napoleon, and consequently Britain had no purpose in wasting its gold to invoke mutual hatred.
- There was no way I could stand another year in Andrews in my pathetic job which wasted my talents.
- He really is one of those guys who is wasted at his current job.
- He is likewise wasted as a curly-haired dad whose sole job seems to be hugging his daughter.
- 3also: wasted past participle3.1 (misused, futile)(time/money)(effort)it was a wasted journey3.2 (shrunken)fue un viaje en balde(body)debilitado(limb)3.3 (drunk)atrofiado(British English) [colloquial]to get wastedemborracharse
- 5 (kill)(American English) [slang]cargarse [colloquial]Example sentences
- Each of you wasted a person who was infinitely more talented than you, and for what?
- But now the military's fresh faces can get a bit of the comforts of home - by wasting their pals in an online game.
- But nobody ever pulls out a grenade launcher and wastes the guy with the battle ax.
- 1.1 (squander) See examples: waste not, want not1.2→ waste awayquien no malgasta no pasa necesidades
- 1 (ground) (barren)(not cultivated)to lay waste the town was laid waste by the rebelssin cultivarlos rebeldes arrasaron la ciudadExample sentences
- Adding a 15m telephone mast and all its associated equipment would further make this waste area even more of an eyesore.
- Eighteen months ago, two factories on North Road were closed down and demolished, leaving a waste area which has become a dump.
- She knew he smoked in the waste area where the youths hung out and when he came home his clothes reeked of the weed.
- 2 2.1 (discarded)(gas)(material)waste matterde desechowaste products (industrial)materia (feminine) de desechoproductos (masculine plural) de desecho(Physiology)waste water 2.2 (leftover, excess)excrementos (masculine plural)(paper/rubber)waste heat generated during the chemical reactionel calor disipado durante la reacción químicaExample sentences
- They were taught how to make useful products out of waste paper, at a training programme held recently.
- The lungs also contribute to this process by eliminating carbon dioxide which is the waste byproduct of glucose and lactic acid metabolism.
- They can be made with simple materials such as waste paper.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Carnaval is the three days of festivities preceding Lent, characterized by costumes, masks, drinking, music, and dancing.