Translation of water in Spanish:
- 1 drinking/running wateragua potable/corrienteturn the water on(at main) abre la llave de paso del agua
da el agua(from faucet) abre la llave or (Spain) el grifo or (River Plate area) la canilla or (Peru) el cañothe water has risen/gone downlas aguas han subido/bajadohard/soft wateragua dura/blandato be/lie under waterestar/quedar inundadothe kitchen was 2 ft under waterla cocina tenía 2 pies de aguahigh/low watermarea (feminine) alta/bajathey headed for the open waterpusieron rumbo al mar abiertostill/rough wateraguas tranquilas/agitadashe's gone through a patch of rough waterha pasado por un período bastante tormentosoto go across o over the watercruzar a la otra orillafrom across the water
cruzar el charco [colloquial]de la otra orillato make water (ship) by water
del otro lado del charco [colloquial]por barcoto spend money like watergastar dinero como si fuera aguaRutland Water
gastar a manos llenasel lago Rutlandlike water off a duck's back I keep telling her to study but it's water off a duck's backestoy constantemente diciéndole que estudie pero le resbala or pero es como quien oye lloverof the first water(person) de primer orden(lit: diamond) de primera calidadto be in deep water(s)estar con el agua al or hasta el cuelloto be in/get into hot waterestar/meterse en una buena [colloquial]to get into deep water(s) to hold watertenerse en piethat theory just doesn't hold wateresa teoría hace agua por todos ladosto pour o throw cold water over somethingponerle trabas a algoto test the water water under the bridgethat's all water under the bridgeeso ya es agua pasadaa lot of water has flowed under the bridge since we last metha corrido mucha agua bajo el puente or ha llovido mucho desde la última vez que nos vimos(before noun) (temperature/meter)
- They are dissolved in warm water and the liquid is taken as a drink between meals.
- Brine is a solution of sodium chloride and water that may or may not contain other salts.
- Its normally the ions that react with other chemicals when dissolved in water.
- 2 2.1 (urine) [formal] [euphemistic]to pass o make waterorinar2.2 (Medicine)water on the brain water on the knee
hacer aguas (menores) [euphemistic]
hacer de las aguas (Mexico) [euphemistic]Example sentences
- Swimming may be a symbol of birth, expressing a wish to return to the peace and safety of the waters of the womb.
- The epidural did not work and fell out and my waters were broken without my consent.
- 3also: waters plural3.1(of sea, river) aguas (feminine plural)the waters of the Mediterraneanlas aguas del Mediterráneoto fish in muddy o troubled waters to muddy the watersenmarañar or enredar las cosasstill waters run deepdel agua mansa líbreme Dios, que de la brava me libro yoExample sentences3.2 (at spa) to take the waters 3.3
(amniotic fluid) aguas (feminine plural)the/her waters broke
- The waters of Dongting Lake and the Xiangjiang River, which flows through the provincial capital of Changsha, are near all-time highs.
- He floated on the surface of the lake; its waters were far denser than normal water.
- In the opera's famous opening scene, deep in the waters of the Rhine river, Wagner unfolds an immense, rolling E-flat major chord.
- her eyes began to waterempezaron a llorarle los ojos or a saltársele las lágrimaschopping onions makes my eyes waterpicar cebolla me hace llorarhis mouth wateredse le hizo agua la boca or (Spain) la boca aguathe smell made my mouth waterse me hizo agua la boca or (Spain) se me hizo la boca agua con el olor
- 1.1 (sprinkle)(plant/garden)
regarExample sentences1.2 (irrigate)
- I arrived back to my house and saw my grandpa was watering the flowers outside.
- It was also used for watering the flowers in the churchyard, and for drinking water.
- Alison was watering the potted herbs that grew behind the house.
regarExample sentences1.3 (give to drink)
- For centuries people believed the Garden of Eden was a sunny parkland watered by rivers meandering gently beneath a blue sky.
- The telltale marks recall a lost world from 175 million years ago when neither cliffs nor sea were there and the area was a near-tropical coastal plain watered by rivers from the Pennines.
- Ladakh is watered by the River Indus on its way down to the Punjab, and many a grain of sand in the Indian Ocean may well have once formed part of a stone in the land behind the Himalayas.
dar de beber a
abrevarExample sentences1.4 (add water to)
- She rode onward, stopping only to water her horse or to walk him every now and than.
- But up to 1962, they were grazing and watering cattle there, pending their slaughter.
- I fed the chickens, and watered the goats; I even found time to fluff the cats.
ponerle or echarle agua aExample sentences
- As a malt lover, I am in the camp that says watering down the whisky is precisely what you want to do, since this reveals its subtle intricacies.
- It's like drinking club soda that has been watered down and mixed with flat light beer.
- And watering down the whiskey isn't the best way to keep your customers loyal.
- 1.1 (dilute)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.