Translation of wave in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (of water) ola (feminine) to ride the waves [literary/literario] surcar* los mares [literary/literario] to make waves hacer* olas, causar problemasExample sentences1.2 (in hair) onda (feminine) she has a natural wave to her hair tiene el pelo naturalmente ondulado 1.3 [Physics/Física] onda (feminine)
- He had anticipated this move though for as soon as she broke the surface a wave of water hit her.
- The sound of the waves breaking on the shore is a fine way to fall asleep.
- While the guys attempted to body surf the waves, the girls laid out on the sand to tan.
- Her long dark blonde hair had a natural wave and hung half to her waist.
- We finger-styled Tamara's hair fresh out of the shower, coaxing out the natural wave in her otherwise pin-straight hair.
- Standing at well over six feet, he had long, dark hair with a slight wave to it that just brushed his shoulders.
- 2 (surge, movement) oleada (feminine) a wave of revolutionary fervor una oleada de fervor revolucionario a wave of nausea came over him le vinieron náuseas there has been a wave of attacks ha habido una oleada de asaltosExample sentences
- So will one the features of this new age - in addition to the welcome growth in sexual openness - be a terrible wave of increased sexual assaults?
- Momentum was increased by a fresh wave of Russian pogroms in 1903.
- The United States also pledged $350m to help tsunami victims, a tenfold increase over its first wave of aid.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (shake, swing) [handkerchief/flag] agitar she waved her hand sadly hizo adiós con la mano, llena de tristeza to wave sth in the air agitar algo en el aire stop waving those papers under my nose! ¡deja de restregarme esos papeles por las narices! to wave sth around agitar algo she waved her stick at them los amenazó agitando su bastón en el aire or blandiendo su bastón smiling, she waved the letter at him sonriente, le enseñaba la carta agitándola en el aire to wave goodbye hacer* adiós con la mano she waved him goodbye le hizo adiós con la mano 1.2 (direct) I was waved to one side me apartó con un gesto the policeman waved us on el policía nos hizo señas para or de que siguiéramos adelante
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (signal) to wave
ato tosb (to say goodbye) hacerle* adiós aalgn con la mano (in greeting) saludar a algn con la mano (to attract attention) he waved at o to me to come over me hizo señas para que me acercara she waved up/across at me me hizo señas desde abajo/desde el otro lado
wave asideverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento [arguments/attempts] rechazar*, desechar he waved me aside me hizo señas para que me hiciera a un lado
wave awayverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento she waved the flies away espantó las moscas con la mano she waved him away le hizo señas para or de que se fuera
wave downverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento we were waved down by a policeman un policía nos hizo señas para que paráramos
wave offverb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio we waved them off until the ship was out of sight les dijimos adiós con la mano hasta que el barco se perdió de vista
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The 'Audiencia Nacional' is the Spanish high court for crimes affecting the national interest, e.g. drug trafficking, large-scale fraud and certain crimes committed abroad.